[Air-L] WEBCAST TODAY: Force of Nature – Celebrating 20 Years of the Laws of Cyberspace

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Mon Apr 16 11:59:08 PDT 2018

 ​The 1998 ​paper/speech
<https://cyber.harvard.edu/works/lessig/laws_cyberspace.pdf> by Larry
Lessig that this event celebrates was remarkably prescient. He foresaw many
of the problems that are only just now becoming pain points, and speculated
as to solutions. Here is its concluding paragraph:

> *Cyberspace is regulated ¾ by laws, but not just by law. The code of
> cyberspace is one of these laws. We must come to see how this code is an
> emerging sovereign — omnipresent, omnipotent, gentle, efficient, growing —
> and that we must develop against this sovereign the limits that we have
> developed against real space sovereigns. Sovereigns will always say — real
> space as well as cyberspace — that limits, and inefficiencies — bugs — are
> not necessary. But things move too quickly for such confidence. My fear is
> not just that against this sovereign, we have not yet developed a language
> of liberty. Nor that we haven’t the time to develop such language. But my
> fear is that we sustain the will — the will of free societies for the past
> two centuries, to architect constitutions to protect freedom, efficiencies
> notwithstanding.*

This will be a very interesting session.
​ 4pm NYC time.​

​​

[image: livestream]
<https://livestream.com/internetsociety/lessig>Today *Monday
April 16 2018* at *4pm* ET (20:200 UTC), the* Berkman Klein Center for
Internet & Society <https://cyber.harvard.edu/>*presents *Force of Nature –
Celebrating 20 Years of the Laws of Cyberspace
<https://cyber.harvard.edu/events/2018/04/Lessig>* at Harvard Law School.
The event recognizes the 20th anniversary of the paper *The Laws of
Cyberspace <https://cyber.harvard.edu/works/lessig/laws_cyberspace.pdf>*
(Taipei
March ’98) by *Professor Lawrence Lessig*. Speakers: Professor Lessig, the
Roy L. Furman Professor of Law and Leadership at Harvard Law School, along
with *Professor Ruth L. Okediji*, the Jeremiah Smith, Jr. Professor of Law
at Harvard Law School and Co-Director of the Berkman Klein Center, and* Dr.
Laura DeNardis*, Professor in the School of Communication at American
University, with moderator, *Professor Jonathan Zittrain*, the George Bemis
Professor of International Law at Harvard Law School and the Harvard
Kennedy School of Government, Professor of Computer Science at the Harvard
School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Director of the Harvard Law
School Library, and Faculty Director of the Berkman Center for Internet &
Society. The event will be *webcast live
<https://cyber.harvard.edu/events/2018/04/Lessig>*, and simulcast on
the *Internet
Society Livestream Channel <https://livestream.com/internetsociety/lessig/>*.
(No captions).

*View on Livestream: Internet Society Livestream Channel
<https://livestream.com/internetsociety/lessig/>Twitter: @BKCHarvard
<https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=%40BKCHarvard&src=typd>*

Comment <http://isoc-ny.org/p2/10096#respond>    See all comments
<http://isoc-ny.org/p2/10096#comments>