[Air-L] Snapchat's New Web-based Map: Data collection tools?

Daniel Bateyko dbateyko at middlebury.edu
Wed Apr 18 13:37:02 PDT 2018

 Hi all,

Personal research question that I'm not finding much on yet. I'm using
Snapchat Maps, which are newly available on the web at
https://map.snapchat.com/. Media organizations are using these maps to show
real-time footage of breaking stories. I am interested in both documenting
the snap stories and auditing Snapchat's map algos, which  determine what
stories are worthy of inclusion into a Heat Map.

*What third-party tools are available for researchers who want to explore
Snapchat's heatmaps?* For instance, I would like to script an alert any
time a heatmap appears in a certain region and document the public stories.
The embed feature allows for region selection, but heat-maps are not
hyperlinkable.

I've seen at least one similar question asked in the listserv concerning
archiving snaps, but I'm particularly focused on the maps feature. If
anyone is also interested in third-party tools or is currently working on
Snapchat Maps data analysis, please get in touch!

Best,
Dan

--

Dan Bateyko