[Air-L] Arizona's iSchool in Tucson Seeking Assistant Professor CT, Data Science

Catherine Brooks cbrooks4 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 15 08:14:05 PDT 2018

https://uacareers.com/postings/31637

Position Information

| Title | Assistant Professor CT, Data Science |
| Department | School of Information (0481) |
| Medical Sub-Speciality |  |
| Location | Main Campus |
| Position Summary |
The School of Information invites applications for a one-year contracted position of Career Track (Non-tenure Eligible) Assistant Professor beginning fall 2019, teaching a 3-3 load. This position will require both online and face-to-face teaching that includes repeated courses and other strategies meant to manage faculty workload. This position also requires vision and approaches tied to outreach to underrepresented learners as well as strong pedagogical abilities for teaching a diverse set of students. This position provides health insurance, tuition reduction and other benefits. Salary is dependent upon qualifications and experience. Appointment of this NTE Assistant Professor position will be recommended largely on evidence of teaching skills and training, depth of knowledge in a particular specialty, and capacity to undertake high quality teaching and service. This NTE Assistant Professor appointment qualifies for renewal and promotion through a university managed system of promotion for continuing faculty. Renewal of this one-year contract is possible and planned, though not guaranteed to occur, dependent on curricular need, faculty performance, and availability of funding.

The School of Information is an academic unit in the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences at the University of Arizona, Arizona’s only public land grant university. The School’s mission: “As Arizona’s iSchool, we collaborate across disciplines, drive critical research and development, and educate the information intellectuals and professionals of tomorrow to further positive social change that is rooted in the places where we live and that impacts the world.”

Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!

The University of Arizona has been listed by Forbes as one of America’s Best Employers in the United States and WorldatWork and the Arizona Department of Health Services have recognized us for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocation services, please click here.

| Duties & Responsibilities |
   - Teaching (60%): Teach online and face-to-face undergraduate courses primarily, though may be assigned graduate courses as needed. Courses taught will include those in data science, Python programming, and data visualization.
   - Service (40%): Coordinate curriculum between the School of Information and Arizona’s UAOnline programs, Offer workshops to help recruit and retain under-represented learners in the iSchool. Oversee the undergraduate capstone learning projects. Other expected service-related roles will include attending faculty meetings, representing the iSchool on University-wide data science initiatives, supervision of individual student projects, and related activities.
   - Additional duties may be assigned.

| Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities |  |
| Minimum Qualifications |
   - PhD in Information Science, Computer Science, Sociology, or similar discipline in the social or natural sciences.
   - Evidence of successful experience teaching data science, Python programming, or data visualization for diverse learning populations
   - Demonstrated ability to provide service to and advocate for a diverse undergraduate and graduate student population, with particular experience with working with traditionally under-served communities.

| Preferred Qualifications |
   - Familiarity with teaching in on-campus labs and online environments.
   - Experience or familiarity with faculty service and/or departmental administration.
   - Demonstrated commitment to preparing undergraduate students for a diverse, multicultural, and interconnected society.