[Air-L] Country specific social media data

Shulman, Stu stu at texifter.com
Fri Aug 3 05:00:38 PDT 2018

Linkedin no longer provides any data; that API was shut down.

Facebook dramatically cut back the API, but I have a story of a rare
exception. I gave up trying to gather Facebook around 2014 after a series
of API alterations. The connection via DiscoverText remains, but the odd
times that I would try it, the results were almost always none. Then, just
the other day, a major cosmetics brand contacted me, so I tried to get the
contents off their page with no special permissions, just using what is
left of the public Facebook API. 194,000 comments downloaded and the new
ones are flowing in every 15 minutes. It was like 2008 on the Facebook API
all over again. Could you filter these by location? No, these are the
metadata fields for that data archive, but it varies from post to post what
you actually get:

application name
created time (date)
description
from
from id
is segmented
Name
original text
posting link
story
type
updated time (date)

Finally, Twitter. It is the best bet, but filtering by location data means
(not insignificantly) that you exclude the vast majority of Tweets from
your data. For example, I have been inviting #metoo scholars to join an ad
hoc group looking at the October 15-17, 2017 take of of the hashtag (we are
still inviting folks to join the ad hoc team, just email
help at discovertext.com and we will give you completely free project access
and free reign to study the data any way you like). Since this is Gnip
Historical PowerTrack (now "Premium" Twitter) data, there are many metadata
fields you cannot get via the Search or Streaming APIs. Like Facebook, it
depends on a lot on individual user choices in a Tweet, RT/comment,
settings, etc. that determine which fields are present for a single Tweet.
Some Tweets have 200+ fields of metadata.

Important note for location: among the 235,000 Tweets with #metoo in our
project, there are 2,035 distinct locations appearing in 5,598 of the
235,000 Tweets (2.3%). The problem with studying location on Twitter is you
are looking at a very distinct subset of users whose proclivity to turn on
location sharing is entirely outside the mainstream of Twitter use. These
folks are exceptional. To top ten locations in that data are:

Los Angeles,167
Manhattan,119
Chicago, 90
Washington, 66
Toronto, 65
Brooklyn, 57
Florida, 47
San Francisco, 36
Seattle, 36
Texas, 35

Last point. We also invite Spanish speaking students to join a second ad
hoc on #cuéntalo (April 27-28 2018). Again, just send us an email and we
will set you up, train you, and give you free software and data access to
advance knowledge. We plan on releasing more public interest opportunities
like this going forward. Korean #metoo is in the on deck circle. Here is
some of the scholarship generated using our commercial and free open source
software.

https://discovertext.com/publications
https://discovertext.com/2018/03/31/scholarly-citations-of-the-coding-analysis-toolkit/

~Stu

On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 5:56 AM, Gohar F. Khan <gohar.feroz at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Dear list members,
>
> I am looking for a comprehensive social media analytics tool which can help
> us understand where particular keywords are mentioned and what people are
> saying about it (i.e., topic and sentiment analysis). The issue is that we
> want to focus only social media users (Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn) in
> New Zealand. I am aware that using IBM Watson analytics can get such data
> (to some extent) but it can't restrict the analysis to a specific
> location. We
> want to get as much publically accessible data (comments, reviews, posts,
> etc) as possible.

> Thank you,
> Khan
>

> --
>
> *Khan,  Gohar PhD **/ **Senior Lecturer Digital Business /* *Undergraduate
> and Graduate Convenor for Digital Business*
>
> *Waikato Management School  **/**  University of Waikato*
>  *Private Bag 3105*  */*  *Hamilton 3240*
>
> *Ph: + 64 7 838 4233 **/*  *gohar.khan at waikato.ac.nz
> <gohar.khan at waikato.ac.nz> **/ *Office: MSB.2.32D  */*  Web:
> gfkhan.wordpress.com
>
> Check out my book on social media analytics <http://7layersanalytics.com/>
> and digital marketing analytics
> <https://www.routledge.com/Digital-Analytics-for-
> Marketing/Sponder-Khan/p/book/9781138190689>

Dr. Stuart W. Shulman
Founder and CEO, Texifter
Cell: 413-992-8513
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/stuartwshulman