[Air-L] Social media legal and privacy issues exercise

Sarah Ann Oates soates at umd.edu
Thu Aug 9 06:55:08 PDT 2018

We have students break into groups, find, and then read the privacy
policies on various platforms such as FB, Twitter, Reddit, etc. Part of the
fun is that they can be hard to find, which angers the students and then
makes them pretty critical :) They then grade the privacy policies with a
letter grade (which they enjoy, because they like getting to give someone
else a grade). It led to a really good discussion in class as each group
justified their 'grade'. This was a basic 'core' requirement class with a
wide range of abilities but what really amazed me was how fast they did it
-- it took them about 20 minutes to find, read, analyze, and grade the main
points of a privacy policy (just as a warning because I often underestimate
the analytical speed of the Millennial student ... ) Sarah

Sarah Oates
Professor and Senior Scholar
Philip Merrill College of Journalism
University of Maryland