[Air-L] Looking for literature on spam in online communities

Elinor Carmi e.carmi at gold.ac.uk
Thu Aug 9 07:45:09 PDT 2018

Hi Spencer,

I've been working on spam (in its broader sense) for the past few years. I've written about the legal and technical struggles behind spam in the EU context, and how it serves as a regulatory tool ->  https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/13600869.2017.1304616

I've also written about spammers in the music industry - <https://thesocietypages.org/cyborgology/2013/06/04/music-spammers-outlaws-or-artists/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter#!> https://thesocietypages.org/cyborgology/2013/06/04/music-spammers-outlaws-or-artists/

There's also Jussi Parikka and Tony Sampson's edited book - The Spam book.

You might also want to check the term 'flaming' which was used to describe inappropriate forms of communication in the early days of the internet. A good place to start is Esther Milne's fantastic book "Letters, Postcards, Email: Technologies of Presence", which I found really useful.

Good luck with your project it sounds really interesting.

Best wishes,

Dr. Elinor Carmi,
Teaching Fellow at the New Political Communication Unit,
Department of Politics & International Relations,
Royal Holloway, University of London.
Email: Elinor.Carmi at rhul.ac.uk.