[Air-L] CFP Worlds of Wikimedia conference: communicating and collaborating across languages and cultures

Bunty Avieson bunty.avieson at sydney.edu.au
Sun Dec 9 16:42:17 PST 2018

WOW2019: The worlds of Wikimedia: communicating and collaborating across languages and cultures, at University of Sydney, 12-14 June 2019.

Abstracts up to 250 words via EasyChair<https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=wow2019> by March 12.
Acceptance by March 20.
Website: wow2019.net<https://www.wow2019.net/>

The United Nations declared 2019 as the International Year of Indigenous Languages<https://en.iyil2019.org/> to celebrate the world’s rich cultural diversity and heighten awareness of cultures at risk. As a free, multimedia publishing site, Wikipedia has unrealized potential for supporting such cultures in terms of languages, traditions and different knowledge systems. This conference invites participants to consider the breadth of human experience, wisdom and knowledge systems, and how they can best be served by digital technologies and the Wikimedia movement. We welcome papers that address Wikimedia’s role in enhancing global diversity from a range of perspectives including education, digital communication, indigenous knowledge, GLAM (Galleries, Libraries, Archives, Museums), Disability Studies, Internet studies and big data, as a means to investigate new methods of collaboration to broaden inclusion across all levels of society.

Topics can refer to any of the various Wikimedia projects, as well as language and cultural diversity, and could address, but are not limited to:

  *   Language preservation
  *   Australian Indigenous storytelling
  *   Theories of knowledge
  *   Andragogy and pedagogy
  *   Internet Activism
  *   Open knowledge
  *   Decolonizing the Internet
  *   Digital tools and methods for online diversity and abilities
  *   Orality and Literacy
  *   Resolving conflict in online communities
  *   New archival practices
  *   Innovative Case Studies and projects

Other related topics will also be considered.

For questions please contact Dr Frances Di Lauro<http://frances.dilauro@sydney.edu.au>, Department of Writing Studies, and Dr Bunty Avieson<http://bunty.avieson@sydney.edu.au>, Department of Media and Communications.

Dr Bunty Avieson | Lecturer
The University of Sydney
Department of Media and Communications, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
Rm N225, John Woolley | The University of Sydney | NSW | 2006
+61 2 8627 0201
bunty.avieson at sydney.edu.au<mailto:bunty.avieson at sydney.edu.au>  | sydney.edu.au<https://sydney.edu.au/arts/staff/profiles/bunty.avieson.php>
I acknowledge the Gadigal people of the Eora nation
as the traditional custodians of the land on which I live and work
CRICOS 00026A
This email plus any attachments to it are confidential. Any unauthorised use is strictly prohibited.
If you receive this email in error, please delete it and any attachments.
Please think of our environment and only print this email if necessary.