[Air-L] CfA: Panel Session "The politics of algorithmic governance. Data subjects and social ordering in the digital age" (18th Annual STS Conference in Graz, 6-7 May 2019)

Florian Irgmaier florian.irgmaier at wzb.eu
Mon Dec 10 08:33:40 PST 2018

Dear Colleagues,

we would like to call your attention to a panel session about the
politics of algorithmic governance at next year's Annual STS Conference
in Graz. The conference takes place on the 6th and the 7th of May 2019.
The deadline for the abstracts is 21.01.2019.

A key aspect of the ongoing digital transformation of society is the
increasing datafication and quantification of almost all aspects of
life. This realm of “data doubles” gives rise to new modes of producing
and validating knowledge and of establishing epistemic and thus
political authority, enabled by artificially intelligent computer
systems and machines learning from big datasets. As a consequence, we
are witnessing the emergence of new forms of social coordination,
steering and control that are unfolding on the individual level (as in
the quantified self movement), on the organizational level (as in people
analytics) as well as on the societal level (as in predictive policing
and citizen scores). While technology enthusiasts interpret these trends
as an opportunity for more reactive, more integrated and less
bureaucratic forms of regulation that will ultimately benefit everyone
(O’Reilly 2013), critics warn that humans are reduced to passive data
providers in a new, depoliticized “surveillance capitalism” (Morozov
2014, Zuboff 2018). As the fusion of digital technology and institutions
of public and private governance proceeds, gaining a deeper
understanding of these ambivalences is one of the pressing academic and
practical issues of our time (Yeung 2017).
During this session we want to continue the conversation about the
possible contributions of Science, Technology and Society Studies to
this set of questions, debating both concrete empirical cases and
broader theoretical considerations. We invite innovative papers from all
relevant areas that address issues including, but not limited to, the
following:

     Which new forms of algorithmic governance do we observe?

     How do they relate to and interact with existing forms of social
ordering and what sets them apart?

     Do we witness the emergence of new forms of subjectivities and
identities?

     In what ways do algorithmic systems foster or inhibit individuals’
conduct of everyday life, and how are they integrated into daily routines?

     Do we witness the rise of new types of socio-technical networks and
assemblages?

     When do the new infrastructures of algorithmic governance fail and
which vulnerabilities are responsible for the failures?

     In what ways do individuals and groups apply, cope with, adapt to,
subvert or re-purpose systems of algorithmic governance?

     How can we think about these changes in ways that take seriously
both the material specificity and the social logics of these new
technologies?

     What are the socio-technical imaginaries that give rise to the
various forms of algorithmic governance?

     What is the relationship between data, algorithms and agency, and
what do these forms of algorithmic governance imply for individual and
collective self-determination?

     What are the conditions for the legitimacy of algorithmic
governance in the 21st century?

     How can algorithmic governance itself be governed?

Important information

Deadline 21.01.2019 16:00
Confirmation of abstracts: February 2019
Information und submission:
https://sts-conference.isds.tugraz.at/event/5/abstracts/

We are looking forward to your abstracts!

With kind regards,
Florian Eyert, Florian Irgmaier und Rainer Rehak

--
Florian Irgmaier
Research fellow

Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin für Sozialforschung(WZB)/
WZB Berlin Social Science Center

Weizenbaum-Institut für die vernetzte Gesellschaft. Das Deutsche
Internet-Institut/
Weizenbaum Institute for the Networked Society. The
German Internet Institute

Reichpietschufer 50
10785 Berlin / Germany

Office: +49-(0)30-700-141-077