[Air-L] The PlayStation Dreamworld

Alfred BOWN (ENG) alfredbown at hsmc.edu.hk
Thu Feb 1 04:22:43 PST 2018

Hi all,

Few months late on sharing, but my book *The Playstation Dreamworld* - a
brief theoretical study of psychoanalysis and videogames - is out now here
<http://politybooks.com/bookdetail/?isbn=9781509518029>. This is what
Slavoj Zizek said about it:

“The universe of video games and the action they involve us in render
perfectly the illusions and antagonisms of our ideological predicament -
the popularity of post-apocalyptic games tells it all. But perhaps even
more important is the type of subjectivity a gamer  has to adopt when
immersed into a game: a mixture of extreme engagement and loss of reality,
a universe of immortality where actions are indefinitely repeatable. So it
is not that we can understand the impact of these games only through the
analysis of our social reality - it's also the other way round: to
understand how our societies work you have to know video games  And Alfie
Bown does this at such a high level that he produces an instant classic, a
book that everyone who seeks to find a way in our confused social life will
have to read. The Playstation Dreamworld is unputdownable, once you start
reading it you will get addicted to it... as in a good  video game!”

If anyone is interested to review it or teach it, send me your address and
I will post you a review copy.

Enjoying air-l as always.

Alfie

--
Alfie Bown
Assistant Professor

*Hang Seng Management College is incorporated in Hong Kong with limited
liability by guarantee.*

This e-mail may be confidential and legally privileged. If you are not the
addressee you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of it. If you
have received this message in error, please delete it and notify the
sender by return e-mail. Thank you!