[Air-L] History of AIR-L

Jones, Steve sjones at uic.edu
Thu Feb 15 08:18:36 PST 2018

The air-l list started in late 1998 after the conference (organized by Andrew Herman and Them Swiss) that Jeremy mentions. I ran it on a server in my office until Jeremy thankfully came along and provided services via the CDDC at Virginia Tech University. There were meet ups in NYC and SF (one or the other tied to the National Communication Association conference) that served as de facto organizational meetings, it was at one of those that Nancy stepped up to the plate and offered to host the first conference at the University of Kansas. I remember having meet ups at other conferences that came through Chicago in the first few years of AoIR. I probably have some of this information written somewhere from which I could provide a more accurate timeline, if that were necessary. I kind of like, perhaps prefer, the golden haze of gratitude, teamwork and nostalgia that I fall into when I think back to those times.

Thanks,

Steve