[Air-L] Need A few others interested in running a pre conference workshop on web scarpping techniques

Peter Timusk peterotimusk at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 22:29:23 PST 2018

I know it is a bit late in the game but.

I wonder if there are other more technical people like myself on here going
to Montreal this year for the AoIR conference who could help me give a hands
on workshop in web/social media scrapping. I am thinking of  training a few
folks to use R which is open source and free to use (www.r-project.org). I
would prepare some R code for this and also show folks how to research other
R code or web scrapping examples they would then have the know how to modify
themselves. The idea would be that leaving this workshop any person could
use R to web scrap what they want using http or API call methods. They would
come away with a solid understanding of how data could pass over the
Internet to research databases and how they would can fine tune the data
filters choices etc.. The participants would exit of course with know how to
learn more techniques and share their knowledge and run similar workshops.

Of course some other team could run a workshop on the ethics of web
scrapping too as there has been some debate of this recently here on the
list.

Peter

Peter Timusk

I do not speak for my employer or associations that I belong to, or
volunteer with unless otherwise noted.

Preconference workshops: Workshops may be either half or full-day events
that occur on the first day of the conference and focus on a particular
topic. They may be a workshop of some kind (e.g., a publishing workshop), a
methodological "bootcamp" (e.g., on ethnography or statistical analysis), an
exploration of a theoretical tradition or topical area (e.g., symbolic
interaction, political economy, or GIS) or anything else that may be of
interest to conference delegates. Proposals for workshops should explain for
a general scholarly audience the goals of the workshop, the way it will
operate, and an indication of potential audience or attendees who may be
interested in attending (such as "early career scholars" or "researchers
using statistical analysis").

Proposals for workshops should be approximately 600-800 words in length (to
be submitted as an "abstract" in the ConfTool Website: no separate document
needs to be uploaded). They should name the facilitators and participants
and are only single-blind peer-reviewed; the quality and expertise of the
facilitators and other participants will be recognized in the assessment.
The availability of individuals named as facilitators and panellists in
workshop sessions must be confirmed by the time the proposal is submitted.
Workshop proposals should indicate any special requirements, including
especially any upper limits on the number of participants.

Workshop Submission Deadline: 1 March 2018