No subject

Wed Feb 21 10:19:42 PST 2018

signaled the end of the first phase of development and widespread adoption
and that the medium is now entering a more mature phase (less gold-digging,
hype, fantasies of a parallel space etc. etc.) where the Internet is
increasingly treated not as an isolated cultural phenomenon but as an
integrated cultural phenomenon. Of course the issue of maturing is complex,
because the computer as a technology is open-ended with respect to new
applications and uses. Such a hypothesis, however, does not preclude that
different more detailed stages can be identified. Whether we base them on
technical/interface developments or on what social groups have been most
influential (scientists, entrepeneurs, grass roots  c.f. Castells) or some
combination of both types of criteria (or other). Thus, I am not sure there
is a conflict - or am I missing something?

Best,
Rune

Rune Dalgaard | Cand.mag. | Ph.D. -stipendiat |
Informations- og Medievidenskab, Aarhus Universitet
runed at imv.au.dk | http://www.imv.au.dk/medarbejdere/runed

--MS_Mac_OE_3121258658_438987_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: Internet History/Stages, was Internet in Everyday Life</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
David, interesting discussion yet I am wondering whether we need to specify=
 some sort of perspective within which such stages are relevant.<BR>
<BR>