[Air-L] ACM RecSys' 18: Call for Workshop Proposals
yzheng66 at iit.edu
Thu Feb 1 19:28:26 PST 2018
*** Please forward to anyone who might be interested ***
CALL for WORKSHOP PROPOSALS
ACM Conference on Recommender Systems (RecSys 2018)
to be held in
Vancouver, Canada, 2nd-7th October, 2018
RecSys 2018 is pleased to invite proposals for workshops to be held in
conjunction with the conference. The goal of the workshops is to provide
additional venues for discussing novel ideas as well as recent results of
research in progress.
In 2018 our goal is to have a balanced workshop program which comprises
workshop formats of different types and a combination of newly emerging,
currently evolving, and historically understudied topics. Different
full-day and half-day workshop formats are possible, forexample:
● Workshops with novel interactive workshop formats and a relatively small
number of participants. Such workshop formats might for example target at
the exploration of a certain topic during the workshop through a moderated
discussion or breakout sessions, resulting in a draft paper or report to be
completed and published after the workshop. Particular priority will be
given to these formats which require the active involvement of the
● Workshops with the traditional workshop format on specialized topics;
such workshops typically have their own paper submission and review
processes. Proposals for continuations of existing workshop series are
welcome, however, please include a brief statement on the necessity for the
new edition, including a description of the outcomes of previous years and
the expected novelty of this edition.
In both cases, a subset of workshop papers selected by workshop chairs will
also be allocated a presentation slot in a poster session to encourage
discussion and follow up between authors and attendees.
We encourage you to contact us by email to workshops2018 at recsys.acm.org in
advance with workshop ideas; we will work with prospective workshop organizers
to help them design successful proposals. In particular for workshop proposals
with novel interactive formats we are happy to assist you in further
developing and implementing your ideas. Please contact us at least three
weeks before the deadline.
We encourage both researchers and industry practitioners to submit
PROPOSAL FORMAT AND SUBMISSION
The workshop proposal should be a PDF document no more than 4 pages long,
submitted by e-mail to workshops2018 at recsys.acm.org and organized as
● Workshop title
● A short description of the workshop including the rationale for the
workshop and how and why it fits the audience of RecSys. This description
should include also the topic, format, and details about what type of
submission is requested from prospective attendees. Please also add an
explanation on how the workshop complements, rather than duplicates, the
topics of the main conference.
● Name, email address, and affiliation for workshop organizer(s) and a
brief description of their experience in organizing such events.
● Requested duration (half day or full day), and expected number of
● Description of workshop activities. Outline how the workshop will be
organized and how the time will be spent. In particular, please sketch how
you will engage participants to foster more interactivity and engagement
during the workshop.
For more interactive workshop formats, also outline the process of
selecting or inviting the participants.
● Description of plans for promoting the workshop and disseminating the
● History of prior workshops on this topic (e.g., including the number of
submissions and attendees), if any.
● Ability of the topic to contribute to the continued development of the
field of recommender systems.
● Level of complementarity of the topic to the main conference.
● Clear plan for attracting submissions, making the workshop itself
productive, and disseminating results.
● Evidence that this plan will be successful.
● Experience of the organizers.
● Workshop proposal submission deadline: March 5th, 2018
● Workshop proposal notification: March 26th, 2018
● Workshop summary camera-ready deadline: August 6th, 2018
● Workshop dates: October 6th and 7th, 2018
Example deadlines (workshop organizers are free to apply their own
deadlines, although we encourage the organizers to follow the suggested
● Call for Papers publication: April 9th, 2018
● Paper submission deadline: July 16th, 2018
● Reviewer deadline: August 3rd, 2018
● Author notification: August 13th, 2018
● Camera-ready version deadline: August 27th, 2018
Deadlines refer to 23:59 (11:59pm) in the AoE (Anywhere on Earth) time zone.
● Alejandro Bellogín, Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, Spain
● Martha Larson, Radboud University, The Netherlands
More information about the Air-L