[Air-L] WEBCAST TODAY: John Perry Barlow 2008 Lecture ‘The First Internet Election’ at NYU

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Thu Feb 8 02:10:22 PST 2018

 ​​Today is the 22nd anniversary of the publication of John Perry
Barlow's .*Declaration
of the Independence of Cyberspace*
<https://www.eff.org/cyberspace-independence> on *Feb 8 1996*. A day that
arguably might be recognized as Internet Independence Day. Sadly John Perry
Barlow himself will only be with us to celebrate it in spirit , since, as
you undoubtedly will have heard, his physical self *expired yesterday
morning*
<https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2018/02/john-perry-barlow-internet-pioneer-1947-2018>.
Although Barlow was known for his Wyoming roots, and his San Francisco
escapades, he was very much a New Yorker, long residing at Mott and Grand
in Little Italy. In 2008 we were able to take advantage of this proximity
to have him, just 11 days before Obama's election, ruminate on the growing
role of the Internet in politics.
Displaying the wit, charm, and humor for which he is justly loved, in the
talk Barlow focused on Obama's savvy harnessing of nascent social media for
both fundraising and organizing, but he also accurately foresaw the fake
news, bubbles, etc that are current election hallmarks. Apart from that he
defined several useful concepts: *jamais vu* - remembering things that
never happened; *macro myopia* - the tendency to overestimate the influence
of a technology on society in the short term, and underestimate it in the
long term; and *pronoid* - a pathological condition where you think the
universe is a conspiracy on your behalf. Watch the stream at *11am EST*.

​​
​

[image: livestream] <https://livestream.com/internetsociety/barlow>On *October
27 2008* EFF co-founder *John Perry Barlow*
*​ ​*
delivered the fourth lecture in Evan Korth’s *Computers and Society Speaker
Series <https://cs.nyu.edu/~korth/compsoc/>*. The topic – “The First
Internet Election?” Barlow wrote about his inspiration for th
​e
 lecture:

Ten years ago when I was a fellow at the Institute of Politics at Harvard’s
Kennedy School, I was on a panel with Senator Ted Kennedy and my tragically
late sidekick John Kennedy, Jr. The focus of our discussion was determining
when the Internet would likely have the pivotal role in shaping a
presidential campaign that television had assumed in the 1960 election of
their brother and father. Oddly, for a couple of guys who were deeply
suspicious of Cyberspace, they both thought this would happen much sooner
than I did, possibly as early as 2000. I said it would be a decade at
least. It has now been a decade. And this, with any luck at all, will now
be that election.

At *11am EST (14:00 UTC) today February 8 2018* the video of this talk will
be streamed on the *Internet Society Livestream Channel
<https://livestream.com/internetsociety/barlow/>* (with open captions). The
Computers and Society Speaker Series speaker series was sponsored by the
Internet Society – NY Chapter, Free Culture @ NYU, Women in Computing
(WinC), and the Association for Computing Machinery NYU Chapter.

*View on Livestream*: https://livestream.com/internetsociety/barlow/
*Facebook simulcast*: https://www.facebook.com/isocny/

* <http://bit.ly/shapethefutureweets>*

Comment <http://isoc-ny.org/p2/9887#respond>    See all comments