[Air-L] Reminder CfP EASST 2018 After Data Activism

Katja Mayer katja.mayer at univie.ac.at
Mon Feb 12 06:39:33 PST 2018

Dear all,

a gentle reminder: please consider submitting a paper to our session E07
until midnight CET on February 14th, 2018.

https://nomadit.co.uk/easst/easst2018/conferencesuite.php/panels/6257

Katja, Guillén, Stefania

After Data Activism: reactions to civil society's engagement with data

        Convenors

  * Guillén Torres (University of Amsterdam)
  * Katja Mayer (Technical University Munich)
  * Stefania Milan (University of Amsterdam)

        Short abstract

This panel focuses on data practices that hinder rather than foster
civil society's political engagement. We invite you to discuss how data
governance, data science and social technologies are co-producing
asymmetries of power.

        Long abstract

By foregrounding the constitutive power of information to shape social
reality (Braman, 2006), recent approaches to datafication have
highlighted data's active role in configuring new ways of engaging
politically with -while dissolving the barriers between- public policy,
economy, science, nature and culture (Milan & van der Velden, 2016).
Thus, the term data activism has been used to study practices in which
data plays a crucial role in shaping civil society's agenda, in
particular when taking action against governmental or corporate
practices of injustice or misinformation. Today, various actors embrace
the "data as new oil" metaphor and we even witness multiple forms of
"open-washing" of politics and economies (e.g. transparency). Other
actors however, have lately shown reluctance to support civic engagement
with data, implementing strategies of information control at different
scales: from the enactment of government-wide policies that make
difficult access to data, to recurrent denials of information requests,
passing by the wilful production of the opaqueness of Automated Decision
Making or scoring systems.

This panel focuses on how certain actors are taking advantage of
information's capacity to shape social reality, with a special focus on
data practices that resist rather than foster citizens' political
engagement. We invite you to discuss how mechanisms of information
control produce and sustain asymmetries of power, often in complicity
with data science and social technologies. We further welcome
contributions focused on experiences with data activism through the
mobilisation of open data and public sector information, or dealing with
the political aftermath of data-driven projects.