[Air-L] Seeking a short introduction text on technological determinism vs. SCOT

Tarleton L. Gillespie tlg28 at cornell.edu
Mon Feb 19 08:05:10 PST 2018

I was particularly impressed by Leah Lievrouw's chapter in a collection I co-edited, which was intended to bring together some of the theoretical tools about technology and society drawn both from STS and from pockets of Communication. It gestures to and digests a lot of the classic takes that have been mentioned in this thread. I think it teaches very well.

= = =

Lievrouw, Leah. 2014. “Materiality and Media in Communication and Technology Studies: An Unfinished Project.” In Media Technologies: Essays on Communication, Materiality, and Society, edited by Tarleton Gillespie, Pablo Boczkowski, and Kirsten Foot, 21–51. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
http://mitpress.universitypressscholarship.com/view/10.7551/mitpress/9780262525374.001.0001/upso-9780262525374-chapter-2

Abstract: A newly materialist approach to the study of media technologies is emerging in several fields, including cultural studies, digital humanities, and science and technology studies (STS). Yet most technology scholarship in the communication field, informed by classical media research, still follows a broadly constructivist line focused on the meanings, appropriations, representations and semiology of communication technology and its uses. This chapter explores the conceptualization of communication and media technologies at the intersection of STS and communication studies, surveying and comparing key concepts or schools of thought in each field. A framework for mediation is proposed as a way to theorize material artifacts, communication practices, and social arrangements or structures as mutually-constitutive elements of communication and media technology.

= = =

Tarleton