[Air-L] Conducting qualitative research on Facebook

Virginia Balfour virginiabalfour at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 6 21:38:31 PST 2018

Hello

I would value advice on the ethics of collecting data from an Open Facebook page and the best ways to mitigate them.

My research is looking at an open Facebook page and it is likely that I will want to use data from conversations between commenters and statements made by commenters as part of my research.  While most observations will be generalised and made anonymous, there may be some conversations where it is pertinent to identify the commenters and/or identifiable comments.

In particular I am interested in whether people think it is  necessary or advisable to contact individual commenters to ask if their comments can be used in the research?

Are their any risk mitigation strategies that anyone has used in the past that they could recommend?

regards

Virginia Balfour

QUT researcher.