[Air-L] some tidbits ofr Aoir history

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Thu Feb 15 08:36:07 PST 2018

1. I was the first keynoter at the first AoIR conference in 2000 in
Lawrence Kansas. It was an amazing event, filled with positive energy and
smarts and a sense of mission. Nancy Baum, altho weighed down by an
imminent birth of a child, did a wonderful job running the conference.

2. Besides the elected presidents of Aoir, Jeremy Hunsinger was the glue
that kept Aoir going -- establishing and running the DB, listserv, and
providing a unique combo of wry humor, common-sense, and incredibly hard
work.

3. I also got elected to the first board of Aoir, when it formalized. A
key debate then is what I characterized as Quality vs Quantity.
In short, do we refer papers strictly for the annual conference or do we
allow in as many as possible. In my biased opinion, the latter won.

4. One unmentioned crisis is that the key organizer in the Toronto annual
meeting was not doing the job, and several weeks before, a bunch of other
Torontonians had to leap in and pull it together (successfully, I may
add.) I recall Catherine Middleton as one of the key pullers-together, but
there were others who can contribute their own age. (The ousted organizer
is now deceased, RIP).

YMMV

   Barry Wellman

                  Streisand/Sondheim
    The earth to be spannd, connected by network -- Walt Whitman
        It's Always Something -- Roseanne Roseannadanna
   Distinguished Visiting Scholar   Social Media Lab   Ryerson University
   Distinguished Senior Advisor     	     University Learning Academy
   http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman            http://amzn.to/zXZg39