[Air-L] some tidbits ofr Aoir history

Jones, Steve sjones at uic.edu
Fri Feb 16 15:42:26 PST 2018

It really was an amazing event, that first conference, and if it wasn’t for Nancy Baym (not “Baum”) not only would the meeting have not happened but AoIR wouldn’t have happened. It was what catalyzed people beyond subscribing to an email list. Without that face to face meeting….

There were five keynote speakers: Susan Herring, Helen Nissenbaum, Manuel Castells, Rob Kling, and Barry Wellman, and so many excellent panels and papers, and what has for me been the hallmark of AoIR conferences, the spontaneous between sessions conversations among people from different disciplines, countries, perspectives, etc. Everyone who has ever organized or gone to (or will go to!) an AoIR conference deserves credit for maintaining the conference’s spirit of openness, collegiality and collaboration that Nancy instilled in us from the start.

Steve