[Air-L] Call for Applications: Internet of Rights Fellowship 2018 (deadline for applications is Friday, February 23

Vidushi Marda vidushi at article19.org
Tue Feb 6 00:17:55 PST 2018

Hi all,

I am unable to send attachments to this mailing list, however, I am
pasting the text in the body of this email. The program includes three
tracks on access, algorithmic decision-making, and the DNS; as such,
fellows will have the opportunity to work with us in the ITU-D, the IEEE
and the Partnership on AI, and ICANN.

The deadline for applications is Friday, February 23. Any questions
should be directed to fellowship at article19.org.

Best,
Vidushi Marda
Policy Advisor, Team Digital
ARTICLE 19

======

Call for Applications: ARTICLE 19 Internet of Rights Fellowship

The Internet of Rights Fellowship Program aims to facilitate stronger
considerations for human rights within Internet governance and to shape
the human rights agenda for the development of the Internet. Currently,
there is little diversity among participants in Internet governance,
resulting in approaches to policy making and the development of Internet
technologies that is not open or inclusive. ARTICLE 19 seeks to increase
the diversity of engagement within Internet governance bodies, to ensure
greater pluralism of voices that includes currently underrepresented groups.

Fellows will be expected to have some working knowledge and experience
with the technical and policy discussions across the Internet governance
landscape. Under the guidance of their assigned mentors, fellows will
develop a deeper knowledge of their target issue area and the skills
necessary to meaningfully contribute to discussions in order to further
human rights considerations in Internet governance bodies. By the end of
the program, fellows will be well-equipped to continue developing a
robust approach to human rights within these technical communities
beyond the life of the program.

The Fellowship

The Internet of Rights Fellowship program is designed to be flexible and
dynamic, and fellows are encouraged to be innovative and creative in
their approach. Upon selection, fellows will work with our team and
their mentor to elaborate upon their work plan and develop a schedule
and deliverables crafted in accordance with each individual’s skills,
interests, and experience. We encourage fellows to be innovative and
creative in their approach.

The Fellowship lasts for one year, during which time fellows will work
closely with their mentor, a designated member of our team, on one of
the following priority areas:

* Access: This is a technical and policy development track on which
fellows will engage in the ITU Development Sector (ITU-D) on
opportunities to address inefficient spectrum management within member
states. The ideal ITU fellow is already embedded within an organisation
in the global south, and comes to the fellowship with a mandate from
their home organisation to work on the ITU during their time with us.
Applicants to this track should have demonstrated experience or
interested in working on issues of access, digital inequality, and
telecom policy.

* Algorithmic decision making: This is a technical track on which
fellows will complement our policy work on algorithms, artificial
intelligence and machine learning to address how algorithmic decision
making can be guided by international human rights law. Algorithms
fellows may work in both established and emerging spaces, like the
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) and the
Partnership on AI (PAI).

* DNS: This is a technical and policy development track on which fellows
will contribute to the Cross Community Working Party on ICANN and Human
Rights (CCWP-HR). Through research, policy engagement, and the drafting
of topical white papers, Fellows will contribute to strengthening human
rights considerations within ICANN’s policies and procedures. For this
track, a strong preference will be given to applicants with technical
knowledge of the DNS.

Fellows will be expected to participate in three Internet
governance-related meetings over the course of the year. Costs incurred
during participation in meetings and conferences as part of this program
will be covered by the Fellowship. Fellows will also receive a monthly
honorarium of USD 300 over the duration of their fellowship.

The Fellows

Fellows are expected to commit to an average of eight hours per week
engaging in forum-specific discussions, participating in working groups,
and completing projects.The program will be conducted entirely in
English; therefore, fellows must have written and spoken proficiency in
the language.

For all priority areas, the ideal fellow will have:

* Technical competence, which may include knowledge and experience in
computer networking and protocols, systems design and architecture.
Prior experience contributing to Internet governance fora, and/or
in-depth knowledge of their target body.
* A clear commitment to protecting and promoting human rights and
Internet freedom.
* A foundational principle of the Fellowship is to prioritise
applications from underrepresented groups, specifically those from the
global south, women and gender non-conforming persons are encouraged to
apply.

Application submissions

The deadline for applications is Friday, February 23. Interested
applicants should submit the following to fellowship at article19.org:

* A curriculum vitae.
* A statement of interest, indicating priority area and proposed work
(maximum of two pages).
* The contact information of two references.

About ARTICLE 19

ARTICLE 19 is an independent, international non-profit organization that
has been dedicated to the protection and promotion of freedom of
expression and access to information as a fundamental human right for 30
years. A19’s Digital Programme is a dynamic team that works around the
world and we firmly believe that human rights should be fundamental
considerations at the infrastructural level of the Internet. By actively
participating within the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and
Numbers (ICANN), the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) and Internet
Research Task Force (IRTF), the Institute of Electrical and Electronic
Engineers (IEEE), and the International Telecommunications Union (ITU),
we aim to build a strong enabling environment for sustaining Internet
freedoms globally.