[Air-L] History of AIR-L

Leslie Tkach-Kawasaki tkach at japan.email.ne.jp
Thu Feb 15 07:09:54 PST 2018

Hi, all,

I can add to Charlie's recollections (hi, Charlie!).

I believe that the group of people that he mentioned were those that
attended a workshop in June 2000 at the Annenberg School of
Communication, University of Pennsylvania. The workshop was organized by
Kirsten Foot (now University of Washington) and Steven Schneider (still
in New York?). [Hi! How are you!?!]

I think that Kirsten and Steve were doing post-docs at the time. The
main focus of the workshop was comparative analysis of political actor
websites (mainly political parties and candidates), and they were
working towards their concept of "websphere" in terms of how political
actors involved in campaigning via the Internet were using websites.

As for me, I was invited to the workshop because I was doing a
comparative website content analysis of Japanese political party
websites from the June 2000 general election. I found out about the
workshop initially through some listserv, emailed Steve Schneider about
my methodology, and he invited me.

Attendees? I believe that there were about 13 or 15 people at the
workshop. Klaus was there, and so was Nick Jankowski. I especially
remember talking with Nick about how to theorize the political Internet.
I met Jennifer Stromer-Galley either there or in Kansas the year after
at the first AoIR conference. She was a grad student at the time.

I remember towards the end of the symposium that we had a roundtable
discussion, and one highly engaging topic was "Hey, we should have some
kind of association for people who research the Internet!"

Then, it seemed to take off from there, as someone knew Steve Jones and
said "he'd be interested in something like this!" Other names that were
mentioned were Nancy Baum in Kansas and Susan Herring. Someone said that
we should contact Nancy Baum and have a conference at the University of
Kansas. That was the first AoIR.

I've always thought that AoIR's conferences were the best -- ever since
that first one in Kansas. (Nancy Baum is an amazing organizer!) And have
tried to go as often as family and/or work permits.

Leslie Tkach-Kawasaki, Associate Professor
University of Tsukuba, Japan

P.S. I was the Grad Student Rep on the Executive Board from 2001 to 2003
(or 2002 to 2004?).