[Air-L] Book announcement: Archaeologies of Touch: Interfacing with Haptics from Electricity to Computing

Parisi, David P ParisiD at cofc.edu
Mon Feb 19 07:28:50 PST 2018

(apologies for cross-posting)

Hello everyone,
I'm very pleased to announce the publication of my book Archaeologies of Touch: Interfacing with Haptics from Electricity to Computing (University of Minnesota Press, 2018). I hope that it will be of interest to members of this list-its release follows closely on the heels of the New Media & Society issue that Mark Paterson, Jason Archer, and I coedited on Haptic Media Studies (link in signature). The book sets the stage for the growing incorporation of haptics into new computer interfaces by providing a historical framework for their emergence and development, beginning way back with early experiments on electricity in the 1740s, continuing into nineteenth century psychophysics research and twentieth century cybernetics, then concluding with a discussion of haptics in touchscreens and virtual reality. It intersects with conversations about human-machine communication, sensory substitution, mobile communication, virtual reality, and technologies of perception.
----
ARCHAEOLOGIES OF TOUCH: Interfacing with Haptics from Electricity to Computing

David Parisi offers the first full history of new computing technologies known as haptic interfaces-which use electricity, vibration, and force feedback to stimulate the sense of touch-showing how the efforts of scientists and engineers over the past 300 years have gradually remade and redefined our sense of touch. Archaeologies of Touch offers a timely and provocative engagement with the long history of touch technology that helps us confront and question the power relations underpinning the project of giving touch its own set of technical media.

For more information, please visit the book's webpage: https://www.upress.umn.edu/book-division/books/archaeologies-of-touch<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.upress.umn.edu%2Fbook-division%2Fbooks%2Farchaeologies-of-touch&data=02%7C01%7C%7C5a8e683e3d7b43a0a29d08d57564e766%7Ce285d438dbba4a4c941c593ba422deac%7C0%7C0%7C636543998608345276&sdata=1hpvRjeliwpABDZwPTy%2BYtamydxGGkZk5Ul0XAOTwR8%3D&reserved=0>, or feel free to contact me (use code MN82600 for 30% off).

Thanks very much for your time, and hope to see/meet some of you in Montreal!
David

David Parisi, Ph.D.

Associate Professor of Emerging Media
Department of Communication