[Air-L] Teaching an undergraduate course on social media and power dynamics

Samantha Close but.no.cigar at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 09:49:54 PST 2018

I'd recommend a pair of essays in Paul Booth and Amber Davisson's recent
collection *Controversies in Digital Ethics*:
Davisson "Passing Around Women's Bodies Online: Identity, Privacy, and Free
Speech on Reddit"
Stroud "'Be a Bully to Beat a Bully': Twitter Ethics, Online Identity, and
the Culture of Quick Revenge"

I'm teaching digital media ethics right now, and that pair generated some
more nuanced discussion amongst the students than I think either one would
have on its own.

As far as videos go, the recently ended PBS Idea Channel
<https://www.youtube.com/pbsideachannel> YouTube series is a great
reference for examples and light academic/popular intellectual-style
discussion. You can also use takethislollipop.com as an evocative project
to get people started talking about online privacy and how much they share
and/or moral panics about stalkers. Finally, students have had great
reactions and insight to the short film "Noah," <https://vimeo.com/65935223>
set entirely on a teen's computer screen as he "navigates" his
relationships (the second half has some explicit content, but you can
easily cut it off before then if that's an issue).

Good luck!