[Air-L] research ethics again - students and FB

Christopher J. Richter crichter at hollins.edu
Thu Jan 11 23:57:14 PST 2018

As Sohail Dahdal clarifies, the ethics of human subject research turn not on whether the actions subjects are directed to do are laudable, but whether the research involves risk of harm to the participants, in this case, minors.

Risks for the participants of the study as proposed might also include that of being denied social media service in future, which for some folks I know would be devastating!

As for Dan’s hypothetical, yes, requiring participants to face risk of arrest (or of being handcuffed, which can be terrifying and actually can hurt, or tear gassed, or billy clubbed or even shot—sometimes the degree of real world risk is difficult to assess) is unethical, especially if, as minors, they are not legally capable of making decisions about the risk themselves.

Christopher J. Richter, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Communication Studies
Hollins University
Roanoke VA, USA