[Air-L] CFP: Understanding "Bad Actors" Online (CHI 2018 workshop)

lindsay blackwell lblackw at umich.edu
Thu Jan 18 08:27:14 PST 2018

Dear AoIRists,

We invite academic researchers, industry practitioners, and social
activists interested in online harassment, hate speech, and other forms of
online misbehavior to a one-day workshop at CHI 2018:

*Understanding "Bad Actors" OnlineSaturday, April 21 in Montr**é**al,
Canada*

*Apply by February 2: understandingbadactors.org
<http://understandingbadactors.org/>*

Social media platforms typically seek to diminish bad behavior by
restricting perpetrators’ access, imposing strong penalties, or outright
disabling accounts. But who are “bad actors?” Do they understand community
standards, or even which policies their actions have violated? How do they
participate in other social media sites and online communities? What values
and experiences shape their interactions online? By listening to the
experiences and needs of policy violators, we can 1) identify the
roadblocks that prevent “bad actors” from complying with community
standards; 2) help them discover more appropriate ways of connecting with
others online; and 3) design more effective interventions to reduce the
impact of these behaviors on other users.

We are hosting a one-day workshop at CHI 2018 focused on understanding the
experiences, perspectives, and motivations of people who engage in bad
behavior online—including harassment, hate speech, and spam—to generate
research and design strategies for prevention, punishment, and remediation.
We invite submissions from academic researchers, industry practitioners,
and social activists interested in any of the following themes:

   - Social behavior
   - Cross-cultural contexts
   - Policy and enforcement
   - Punishments and sanctions
   - Designing social media
   - Intersectional practice

Cheers,

Lindsay Blackwell, University of Michigan
Mark Handel, Facebook
Sarah T. Roberts, UCLA
Amy Bruckman, Georgia Tech

Lindsay Blackwell <http://www.lindsayblackwell.net>