[Air-L] job opening: Full Professor Digital Art and Culture, Maastricht University
Wenz K (LK)
k.wenz at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Fri Jan 26 06:04:43 PST 2018
Maybe of interest for someone from our list:
The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (FASoS) of Maastricht University (UM), The Netherlands, proposes to establish a Chair in Digital Arts and Culture in the Department of Arts and Literature.
We are looking for an expert in the field of digital arts and culture with an emphasis on the concrete artistic and cultural practices in which digital technologies are used, and with expertise in interdisciplinary approaches and digital methodologies to investigate those practices.
* The candidate is a scholar with a thorough background in one of the humanities
disciplines (e.g. (new) media studies (including film & television), art history, philosophy
or cultural studies) and with extensive expertise in research and teaching in the field of
digital arts and culture.
* The candidate has an excellent record as an interdisciplinary researcher, which is
evidenced through national and international publications, lectures and other expert
* The candidate has a successful record of instigating, applying and receiving research
grants, both as individual and as team player.
* The candidate is a first-class and inspiring teacher, experienced both at bachelor and
master levels, and willing to work with our system of small-scale problem based learning (PBL).
* The candidate has experience with fulfilling academic leadership roles.
* The candidate has proven skills in talent-scouting and in supervision and coaching of
students, Ph.D. students and post-docs.
* The candidate has a high-level national and international network in relevant fields and communities.
Contribution to research
The research of this chair focuses on the impact of digitalization in the domains of the arts, media and/or popular culture. It connects the interpretation of digital objects and phenomena with the analysis of the practices in which they are embedded. The chair combines the use of hermeneutic methods with digital methods, such as digital ethnography/ethnography of the internet.
Relevant areas of interest are:
* Digital arts and art worlds, including practices of artistic production, circulation,
* Digital user practices, including questions of access and participation, information
politics, sharing/collaboration and knowledge production, in arts, media and/or popular culture;
* Digital design and the shaping of (online) communication and interaction in arts, media and/or popular culture;
* The internet of things and the materiality of digital cultural objects in the domain of art and culture (including critical infrastructure studies to understand the ways in which digital infrastructures shape, constrain and facilitate access to and interpretation of digital cultural objects);
* Digital heritage; impact of digital technologies on the appreciation, conservation and use of cultural heritage;
* Digital practices of (audiovisual) documentation and archiving.
More information via: https://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/about-um/faculties/arts-and-social-sciences/vacancies
application deadline March 1st, 2018.
More information about the Air-L