[Air-L] University of Delaware Data Science Search

John McNutt johngmcnutt at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 08:10:41 PST 2018

We have an interdisciplinary data science search going on at the University
of Delaware.  Over the past few years, UD has developed some exciting plans
for data science and this search represents the possibility of being part
of a well-supported and innovative effort.  Some truly exciting things are
being planned here.  I’m not on the search committee but I am happy to put
you in touch with our colleagues who are and to answer any questions about
the university.   While the Ad specifies February 1, the committee will
consider applications until the position is filled.

John

University of Delaware: College of Arts & Sciences

Tenured/Tenure-Track Faculty Positions in Data Science -
Assistant/Associate Professor

Location: Newark, DE

https://apply.interfolio.com/48118

The University of Delaware (http://www.udel.edu/) invites applications for
multiple tenured/tenure-track faculty positions in Data Science at the
Assistant or Associate Professor level beginning September 1, 2018. We are
seeking exceptional candidates with interdisciplinary interests in a wide
range of topics in foundations and applications of data science.
Foundational topics may include development of the underlying theory,
tools, and techniques necessary to extract meaning from large, complex or
unstructured data sets, while applications may encompass a broad range of
subject areas including health and life sciences, physical sciences and
engineering, environmental sciences, education, financial services
analytics, behavioral and social sciences, and public policy.

This search is part of a university-wide cluster recruitment effort to
expand research in data science and related areas, with a series of hires
expected over the next two years that will complement ongoing departmental
hiring efforts. This effort will support a new Data Science Institute to be
launched in Spring 2018, as well as new and existing degree programs. We
seek interdisciplinary researchers who are attentive to both high-impact
applications and the forefront of data science methodology. To foster
collaborations across academic units, we expect that most faculty hired
through this search will have interdepartmental joint appointments.

A research-intensive, technologically advanced university with global
impact, UD traces its roots back to 1743. Today, it is a Carnegie R1
Doctoral University (Highest research activity), with external funding
exceeding $200 million annually. State-assisted, yet privately governed, UD
is a Land Grant, Sea Grant and Space Grant institution. The University is
building on its rich legacy of discovery and engagement to deepen its
impact on the next generation. The University is committed to delivering an
exceptional educational experience to its students, within and beyond the
classroom, that prepares them for a lifetime of success. With a fall 2017
total of almost 19,000 undergraduates and over 4,000 graduate students, the
University’s enrollment is the highest in its history. A number of new
initiatives will significantly expand the number of faculty and students on
campus. The University’s leadership is committed to greater collaboration
among colleges and across disciplines, and recognizes that UD, as a place
of intellectual transformation and enlightenment, must be a source for
positive change, stimulating faculty, staff, students, alumni and others to
make a difference in society.

The University of Delaware recognizes and values the importance of
diversity and inclusive excellence in supporting our academic mission and
enriching the experience of our employees. We are committed to attracting
candidates with varying identities and backgrounds, knowing that diversity
enriches the academic experience and expands the knowledge base for
innovation. We strongly encourage applications from scholars from
under-represented groups. UD provides equal access to, and opportunity in,
its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color,
creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability,
public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender
identity, or gender expression. The University is responsive to the needs
of dual-career couples, and supports work-life balance through our
family-friendly policies.

*Applicant Instructions*

Applicants should apply on-line and should submit a letter of application
(indicating “Data Science Foundations” or “Data Science Applications” as
their primary track), a curriculum vitae, description of research plans,
and statement of teaching philosophy. They should also provide the names
and contact information for at least three references. Candidates will be
notified before references are contacted. Review of applications will begin
on February 1, 2018 and will continue until positions are filled. Questions
should be directed to Doug Doren (doren at udel.edu).

John McNutt, PhD, MSW, Professor
School of Public Policy and Administration
University of Delaware
Newark, DE 19716
302.831.0765 <%28302%29%20831-0765>

Twitter: @johngmcnutt | Website:   www.policymagic.org

aquila non capit muscas
Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity. Horace Mann
Nemo me impune lacessit
There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that
is less than the one
you are capable of living. Nelson Mandela