[Air-L] CFPs for IFIP World Congress - Sept. 2018

Chris Leslie chrisleslienyc at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 5 07:37:05 PST 2018

Dear Colleagues,

I want to bring your attention to two opportunities to participate in this year's International Federation of Information Processing’s 24th World Congress (http://wcc2018.put.poznan.pl), held in Poznan, Poland from 17 to 21 September 2018.

The first opportunity is a workshop sponsored by the Human Choice and Computers Technical Committee (TC 9) and is entitled “This Changes Everything” (http://hcc13.net). Although there will be several groups with various themes represented at this workshop, I most want to bring your attention to the track devoted to the history of computing (http://ifipwg97.org/workshops/hcc13/). The deadline for draft papers is at the end of this month.

Secondly, IFIP's History of Computing Working Group (WG 9.7) is sponsoring a separate workshop covering Histories of Computing in Eastern Europe (http://ifipwg97.org/workshops/eastern-europe/). In addition to traditional paper sessions, this workshop will feature a remote demonstration of the Bomba created by Alan Turing. In order to honor the effort of Polish cryptographers during the war, a message enciphered using Enigma coding will be transmitted to Bletchley Park, decoded using the replica Bombe, and sent back to Poznan. The deadline for draft papers to be considered for this workshop is 1 May 2018.

Please consider being a part of either or both of these workshops. I expect that selected papers from both will be published in separate proceedings volumes. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me off-list.

I hope 2018 is off to a good start for you all.

Sincerely,

Chris Leslie
Chair, IFIP Working Group 9.7 - History of Computing (http://ifipwg97.org)
Fulbright Guest Professor, South China University of Technology