[Air-L] ICA preconf CfP: Media, Gender and Sexuality in Europe

Szulc Lukasz lukasz.szulc at uantwerpen.be
Tue Jan 9 02:38:58 PST 2018

Preconference Call for Papers
International Communication Association
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender & Queer Interest Group
24 May 2018, Prague, Czech Republic

MEDIA, GENDER AND SEXUALITY IN EUROPE

Media are gendered and sexualized while gender and sexuality are heavily mediated. Gender and sexuality figure prominently in many aspects of media production, representation, consumption and use. At this preconference, we will build on a vast body of research in this area to examine the intersections between media, gender and sexuality as well as age, ability, class, religion, race, ethnicity and nationality. Inspired by the fact that the International Communication Association will for the first time in history hold its annual conference in Central Europe, we would like to think about those intersections from a European perspective, particularly from the perspective of underrepresented contexts such as Central, Eastern and Southern Europe. How do European contexts matter for the intersections of media, gender and sexuality? How are those intersections manifested in Europe at different historical moments and at different geographical scales (such as cities, countries and regions)? What can we learn about those intersections thinking through Europe-specific issues such as larger geopolitical challenges (e.g. Brexit, austerity measures, 'refugee crisis', postcommunist transitions and the rise of the far right) as well as challenges specifically related to gender and sexuality (e.g. homonationalism in Western Europe, 'gay propaganda' laws in Russia and Lithuania, and anti-gender campaigns across the continent)? Also, more theoretically, what can such Europe-specific research contribute to mainstream, largely Anglo-American, studies of media, gender and sexuality? What are the legacies and the futures of European gender, feminist, sexuality and LGBTQ media studies?

SUBMISSION PROCESS

We invite scholars at all stages of their careers, across multiple disciplines as well as employing diverse methods and theories to submit abstracts of 300 to 500 words along with their short bio notes to Lukasz Szulc (L.Szulc at lse.ac.uk<mailto:L.Szulc at lse.ac.uk>) by 1 February 2018. We are open to works addressing a wide spectrum of mainstream and alternative media (including but not limited to press, radio, television, cinema, digital and mobile media) and a diversity of genres and platforms (such as journalism, advertising, TV drama, porn, films, games, social media and dating sites). However, we ask that all submissions reflect on the importance of the European context. The preconference will consist of short individual presentations, allowing participants to have in-depth discussions and produce broader insights. Authors will be informed of their acceptance or rejection by 1 March 2018. We will consider to publish selected contributions in a special issue in a peer-reviewed journal. Authors of the accepted abstracts will need to register through the ICA website (www.icahdq.org<http://www.icahdq.org>). Cost for participation is 25USD for early registration (by 30 April 2018) and 35USD for late registration (by 4 May 2018).

ORGANIZERS AND SPONSORS

Lukasz Szulc (London School of Economics and Political Science, UK)
Alexander Dhoest (University of Antwerp, Belgium)
Lynn Comella (University of Nevada, Las Vegas, US)

Sponsor: Department of Communication Studies, University of Antwerp, Belgium.

Lukasz Szulc, PhD
Marie Curie Research Fellow
Department of Media & Communications
TW2.7.01M
Houghton Street
London
UNITED KINGDOM
http://www.lse.ac.uk/media-and-communications/people/research-staff/lukasz-szulc
@LukaszSzulc<https://twitter.com/LukaszSzulc>

NEW PUBLICATIONS

Szulc, L. (2017) Transnational Homosexuals in Communist Poland: Cross-Border Flows in Gay and Lesbian Magazines. Cham: Palgrave Macmillan. Available at: http://www.palgrave.com/gb/book/9783319589008

Szulc, L. (2017) Banal Nationalism in the Internet Age: Rethinking the Relationship between Nations, Nationalisms and the Media. In M. Skey & M. Antonsich (eds.) Everyday Nationhood: Theorising Culture, Identity and Belonging after Banal Nationalism. London: Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 53-74. Available at: https://www.palgrave.com/gb/book/9781137570970