[Air-L] #SMSociety CFP: 2018 INTERNATIONAL CONF on SOCIAL MEDIA & SOCIETY [Papers due in 18 days!]

agruzd at gmail.com agruzd at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 13:01:40 PST 2018

INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND SOCIETY

COPENHAGEN, DENMARK (JULY 18-20, 2018)

THEME: Networked Influence and Virality - REVISITED

IMPORTANT DATES

Full & WIP Papers Due: Jan. 29, 2018

Panels, Workshops, & Posters Due: Mar. 19, 2018

PUBLISHING OPPORTUNITIES
Full and WIP (short) papers presented at the Conference will be published in
the conference proceedings by ACM International Conference Proceeding Series
(ICPS) and will be available in the ACM Digital Library. All conference
presenters will be invited to submit their work as a full paper to the
special issue of the Social Media + Society journal (published by SAGE).

SUBMISSION DETAILS: http://socialmediaandsociety.org/submit/

ABOUT THE CONFERENCE
Join us on July 18-20, 2018 for the 9th annual International Conference on
Social Media and Society (#SMSociety). The conference is an
interdisciplinary gathering of social media researchers, practitioners, and
analysts from around the world. The 2018 conference is hosted by the Centre
for Business Data Analytics at the Copenhagen Business School.

In 2012, in the wake of Occupy and the Arab Spring, the #SMSociety community
explored networked influence and virality, and saw social media and viral
events as a democratizing force. Fast forward five years and we find
ourselves in quite a different, some would argue, darker social media
landscape where those same democratizing forces are now being exploited in
ways we could not foresee. With the rapid change on social media platforms
and their affordances, the heightened emphasis on mobile and visual
communication, the rise of bots, and the increased participation of state
actors, we believe it is time to revisit the ideas of Networked Influence
and Virality once more!