[Air-L] Learning more about social media analytics

Robert Ackland robert.ackland at anu.edu.au
Sat Jan 6 20:24:35 PST 2018

I can recommend the open source and free SocialMediaLab R package
(https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/SocialMediaLab/index.html)
which was created at the VOSON Lab (ANU) by Tim Graham and myself, with
contributions by Chung-hong Chan (MZES, University of Mannheim).

SocialMediaLab aims to be a "Swiss army knife" for collecting network
and text data via public APIs for Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.

The version on CRAN (0.23.2) will collect comment text from Facebook
pages, but to get the text of the Facebook posts themselves you will
need to install version 0.23.3 which is hosted on github:
https://github.com/vosonlab/SocialMediaLab

You can find more information about SocialMediaLab here:
http://vosonlab.net/SocialMediaLab

Tutorial materials are here: http://vosonlab.net/SocialMediaLab

I am running a "Big Data Analysis for Social Scientists" training course
at the University of Melbourne 29 Jan - 2 Feb, where there will be a
focus on R (SocialMediaLab for data collection, igraph for network
analysis and other R packages for text analysis) and other tools (Gephi
network visualisation, VOSON for hyperlink network collection).  See here:

https://www.acspri.org.au/summer-program-2018/big-data-analysis-social-scientists

Regards,

Rob

--

Dr Robert Ackland
Associate Professor, School of Sociology and ANU Centre for Social