[Air-L] research ethics again - students and FB

Liz Crocker lcrocker at bu.edu
Wed Jan 10 07:55:03 PST 2018

I'm curious how they will build a network with a fake profile. Are they
going to set up an entire fake profile and contribute to larger public
discussions (ex: FB groups or a post from an account they follow) without
having any friends? To me, if I saw that I would immediately assume it was
a fake account and I doubt I would engage with it in a realistic/natural
way. Are they going to try and friend random people? One another? People
they know?

Another option might be a site where people are typically anonymous or use
pseudonyms such as Twitter, Snapchat, or Reddit. Reddit, in particular,
would let you get around the problem of not having anyone
following/friending the account. But it would have to be a different kind
of project since with few exceptions people do not follow account names
outside of a single thread. If you want to explore a more Goffman-esque set
of questions, Instagram might be quite interesting.

Best
Liz