[Air-L] research ethics again - students and FB

Casey Lynn Fiesler Casey.Fiesler at Colorado.EDU
Thu Jan 11 15:47:29 PST 2018

re: the terms of service issue, though this is by no means legal advice, I wrote up a legal/ethical analysis based on the also relevant recent LinkedIn case. https://medium.com/@cfiesler/law-ethics-of-scraping-what-hiq-v-linkedin-could-mean-for-researchers-violating-tos-787bd3322540

The ACM SIGCHI ethics committee (disclaimer: I am on it) also wrote about this issue recently: https://medium.com/sigchi-ethics-committee/do-researchers-need-to-follow-tos-f3bde1950d3c?source=linkShare-941ba1546cc4-1515714179

My personal take these days is that we should be thinking about potential harms - to both users and the company, and considering reasonable user expectations - probably more than legal problems though.

Casey

—
Casey Fiesler
Assistant Professor