[Air-L] Privacy commissioner on employers use of online information ‘Dooced’ case

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Mon Jan 22 04:21:01 PST 2018

I haven't read the actual law cited in the article, and of course IANAL, but I suspect this could be easily remedied by employers asking for the applicant's 'implied consent' in the job description and/or application instructions.   To wit:  "by applying to this position you agree to allow us to check publicly available social media, online forums, Google, blah blah blah as part of the candidate evaluation process."    (Heck I don't have a FB account, which has drawn question marks from background investigators and others over the years -- but hey, I enjoy being a statstical outlier in some things)

Not to mention there are any number of ways around this, of course -- both ethical and non.  So this might sound good on paper but is pretty much unenforceable in reality.

-- rick

---
Dr. Richard Forno
Senior Lecturer, CSEE
Director, Graduate Cybersecurity Program
Assistant Director, UMBC Center for Cybersecurity
UMBC Veterans Faculty Fellow 2016-18