[Air-L] Special Issue: Mobile Media beyond Mobile Phones

Jordan Frith jordan.frith at unt.edu
Thu Jan 18 06:43:20 PST 2018

 Hi all,
I'm editing (with my colleague Didem Ozkul) a special issue of *Mobile
Media & Communication* entitled "Mobile Media beyond Mobile Phones." The
point of the special issue is to move mobile communication research beyond a
dominant focus on smartphone technology. The journal is interdisciplinary,
well-respected, widely read (h5 index of 23/30), and open to a range of
methodological and theoretical perspectives.

The full CFP can be found here:
http://journals.sagepub.com/pb-assets/cmscontent/MMC/Frith_MMC_CFP.pdf .
The CFP goes into more detal on why such the topic is important, the
deadlines (extended abstract by March 15), and all of that. Here I just
want to list a few possible topics. We're open to more and we hope to hear
from some of you!

Possible topics, including but not limited to

·         The Internet of Things broadly defined

·         Historical forms of mobile communication, including but not
limited to

o   Books as mobile media

o   Ancient forms of mobile media

o   Mobile auditory media

o   Barcodes

o   Earlier mobile gaming technologies (Gameboy, etc.)

·         Mobile phone infrastructure (GPS, cell tower, etc.)

·         Wearable technologies such as the Apple Watch, Fitbit, etc.

·         Broader mobile communication infrastructure, including but not
limited to

o   RFID

o   Near-Field Communication

o   BLE Beacons

o   QR Codes

·         Robotics as mobile communication

·          “Generations” of mobile networks—shift to 5G

·         Mobile phone standards as vibrant actors

·         The role of mobile communication in artificial intelligence

--
Jordan Frith, Ph.D.
Associate Professor