[Air-L] Any sociological or STS research on machine learning?

Roberge Jonathan Jonathan.Roberge at UCS.INRS.Ca
Fri Jan 12 10:57:25 PST 2018

Hi Stephen,

Many thanks for your question and for rising this pressing issue (i.e. that we social scientist might need to work faster and better on AI and ML).

While I would mostly follow Professor Burrell comment, I would also like to point out how there’s two intertwined bodies of literature here. One deals with the last 5 years or so of what has been written on algorithms and algorithmic cultures. Atop of the mostly American list provided, I would suggest works coming from David Beer, Rob Kitchin or our very own, Robert Seyfert and I’ book on Algorithmic cultures.
(see https://www.routledge.com/Algorithmic-Cultures-Essays-on-Meaning-Performance-and-New-Technologies/Seyfert-Roberge/p/book/9781138998421).

The second body of literature is indeed smaller as it particularly deals with Artificial intelligence and all of its latest twists (ML, Deep Learning, etc.). I would once more agree with Professor Burrell that Adrian Mackenzie' new book has good chance of becoming the equivalent of the important, but maybe more philosophical book on Superintelligence by Nick Bostrom. Of late, I’ve also come across several interesting pieces (some new, some rather old or outdated but that could serve as a sort of archeology). Here they are:

Carley, K. M. (1996). Artificial Intelligence within Sociology. Sociological Methods & Research, 25(1), 3 30. https://doi.org/10.1177/0049124196025001001
Dreyfus, H. L., & Dreyfus, S. E. (1986). Mind over machine: the power of human intuition and expertise in the era of the computer. New York: Free Press.
Fox, S. (2016). Domesticating artificial intelligence: Expanding human self-expression through applications of artificial intelligence in prosumption. Journal of Consumer Culture, 146954051665912. https://doi.org/10.1177/1469540516659126
Gunkel, D. J. (2012). Communication and artificial intelligence: Opportunities and challenges for the 21st century. communication+ 1, 1(1), 1–25.
Hoffman, S. G. (2017). Managing Ambiguities at the Edge of Knowledge: Research Strategy and Artificial Intelligence Labs in an Era of Academic Capitalism. Science, Technology, & Human Values, 42(4), 703 740. https://doi.org/10.1177/0162243916687038
Natale, S., & Ballatore, A. (2017). Imagining the thinking machine: Technological myths and the rise of artificial intelligence. Convergence: The International Journal of Research into New Media Technologies, 135485651771516. https://doi.org/10.1177/1354856517715164
Stilgoe, J. (2017). Machine learning, social learning and the governance of self-driving cars. Social Studies of Science, 030631271774168. https://doi.org/10.1177/0306312717741687
Tripathi, A. K. (2017). Hermeneutics of technological culture. AI & SOCIETY, 32(2), 137 148. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00146-017-0717-4

My apologies for all the typos; I’m a Francophone who doesn’t like working on Friday afternoon that much !!!:)
Best, JR

Jonathan Roberge

Professeur-chercheur agrégé
Titulaire de la Chaire de recherche du Canada sur les Nouveaux Environnements Numériques et l'Intermédiation Culturelle (NENIC Lab)

Institut national de la recherche scientifique
Centre Urbanisation Culture Société
490, rue de la Couronne, Québec, Qc., Canada, G1K 9A9
Tél. 418-687-6401, fax. 418 687-6425