[Air-L] ACM Intelligent User Interfaces - IUI 2019: Call for Papers

Axel Soto axel.soto at cs.uns.edu.ar
Fri Jul 6 14:17:17 PDT 2018

*** ACM IUI 2019: Call for Papers ***
Los Angeles, CA, USA
March 17-20, 2019
http://iui.acm.org/2019/

ACM IUI 2019 is the 24rd annual meeting of the intelligent interfaces
community and serves as a premier international forum for reporting
outstanding research and development on intelligent user interfaces.

ACM IUI is where the Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) community meets the
Artificial Intelligence (AI) community, with contributions from related
fields such as psychology, behavioral science, cognitive science, computer
graphics, design, the arts, and more. Our focus is to improve the
interaction between humans and machines, by leveraging both HCI approaches
and state-of-the art AI techniques from machine learning, natural language
processing, data mining, knowledge representation and reasoning. ACM IUI
welcomes contribution from all relevant arenas: academia, industry,
government, and non-profit organizations. Along with 25 other topics in AI
& HCI, this year we especially encourage submissions on explainable
intelligent user interfaces for IUI 2019.

** Why you should submit to ACM IUI **

At ACM IUI, we focus on the interaction between machine intelligence and
human intelligence. While other conferences focus on one side or the
other, we address the complex interaction between the two. We welcome
research that explores how to make the interaction between computers and
people smarter, which may leverage solutions from data mining, knowledge
representation, novel interaction paradigms, and emerging technologies. We
strongly encourage submissions that simultaneously discuss research from
both HCI and AI. We also welcome works that focus more on one side or the
other.

The conference brings together people from academia, industry, government
and non-profit organizations and gives its participants the opportunity to
present and see cutting-edge IUI work in a focused and interactive
setting. It is large enough to be diverse and lively, but small enough to
allow for extensive interaction among attendees and easy attendance to the
events that the conference offers, ranging from oral paper presentations,
poster sessions, workshops, panels and doctoral consortium for graduate
students.

IUI topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Affective and aesthetic interfaces
- Big data and analytics
- Collaborative interfaces
- Education and learning-related technologies
- Evaluations of intelligent user interfaces
- Explainable intelligent user interfaces
- Explainable artificial intelligence
- Interactive visual analytics and interpretation for deep learning
- Health and intelligent health technologies
- Information retrieval and search
- Intelligent assistants for complex tasks
- Intelligent wearable and mobile interfaces
- Intelligent ubiquitous user interfaces
- Intelligent visualization tools
- Interactive machine learning
- Knowledge-based approaches to user interface design and generation
- Modeling and prediction of user behavior
- Multi-modal interfaces (speech, gestures, eye gaze, face, physiological
information etc.)
- Natural language and speech processing
- Persuasive and assistive technologies in IUI
- Planning and plan recognition for IUI
- Proactive and agent-based user interaction
- Recommender systems
- Smart environments and tangible computing
- Social media analysis
- User Modelling for Intelligent Interfaces
- User-Adaptive interaction and personalization

** Dates **

Oct 1, 2018: Abstract deadline (compulsory)
Oct 8, 2018: Papers deadline
Dec 7, 2018: Notification
Dec 21, 2018: Camera ready due
Mar 17, 2019: Conference starts

** Submission - Full and Short Papers **

We invite original paper submissions that describe novel user interfaces,
applications, interactive and intelligent technologies, empirical studies,
or design techniques. We do not require evaluations with users, but we do
expect papers to include an appropriate evaluation for their stated
contributions.

Accepted papers will appear in the ACM Digital Library and citation
indices. A selected set of accepted top quality full papers will be
invited to submit their extended versions for publication in an ACM
Transactions on Interactive Intelligent Systems (TiiS,
http://tiis.acm.org) special issue titled "Highlights of IUI 2019".

** Submission Guidelines **

- Full paper (anonymized 10 pages, references do not count toward the page
limit) should make substantial, novel, and relevant contribution to the
field.

- Short paper (anonymized 4 pages, references do not count toward the page
limit) is a much more focused and succinct contribution to the field.
Short papers are not expected to include a discussion of related work that
is as broad and complete as that of Full papers.

- Anonymization: ACM IUI uses a double-blind review process. All
submissions must be appropriately anonymized according to the following
guidelines:
-- Author's names and affiliations are not visible anywhere in the paper.
-- Acknowledgements should be anonymized or removed during the review
process.
-- Self-citations should be included where necessary, but must use the
third person. For example, "... as shown in our previous user study [2]
... " is not allowed, whereas "... as shown in Smith et al. [2] " is
acceptable (because in this case the citation [2] will NOT be perceived as
self-citation).

- Failure to follow these guidelines may result in submissions being
rejected without review.

- Authors should also be aware of the SIGCHI Policy for Submission and
Review at SIGCHI Conferences, see:
https://sigchi.org/about/sigchi-policies/conference-policies/submission-and-review/

- Submissions should follow the standard SigCHI format. Use either the
Microsoft Word template
(https://github.com/sigchi/Document-Formats/blob/master/Word/SIGCHIProceedingsFormat.docx)
or the LaTeX template (
https://github.com/sigchi/Document-Formats/tree/master/LaTeX).

Accepted full papers will be invited for oral presentation. Accepted short
papers will be invited either as oral or poster presentation.

** AUTHORS TAKE NOTE **

The official publication date is the date the proceedings are made
available in the ACM Digital Library. This date may be up to two weeks
prior to the first day of your conference. The official publication date
affects the deadline for any patent filings related to published work.
(For those rare conferences whose proceedings are published in the ACM
Digital Library after the conference is over, the official publication
date remains the first day of the conference.)

** Chairs - program-iui2019 at acm.org **

Oliver Brdiczka, Adobe, USA
Gaëlle Calvary, Grenoble Institute of Technology, France
Polo Chau, Georgia Tech, USA

--
Dr. Axel J. Soto

Researcher
National Scientific and Technical Research Council (CONICET)
Instituto de Ciencias e Ingeniería de la Computación (ICIC-UNS)
http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/staff/Axel.Soto/index.html
----
Oficina A8
San Andrés 800 - Campus Altos del Palihue
Departamento de Ciencias e Ingeniería de la Computación (DCIC-UNS)
(8000) - Bahía Blanca
Argentina