[Air-L] Two positions in the Department of Communication at Cornell University

Shane Snyder sk2842 at cornell.edu
Thu Jul 12 05:03:30 PDT 2018

Two positions in the Department of Communication
College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS)
Cornell University

Geri Gay Professorship in Communication
and
Open-Rank Tenure-Track Position in Communication and Technology

The Department of Communication at Cornell University invites applications for two 9-month, tenure-track positions focusing on communication technologies and digital media: (1) the inaugural Geri Gay Professor of Communication at the Associate or Full Professor rank; and (2) an open-rank position to further build and strengthen our communication and technology area.

We welcome applications from scholars in the social sciences whose research addresses the most important questions about the impacts of myriad technologies on individuals, groups, and society. We are particularly interested in applicants who explore one or more of these areas and approaches: a) the public sphere, including policy, politics, news, health, legal, and global issues; b) cutting-edge technologies of any kind; c) innovative research methods and tools; d) social interactions, uses, and effects on social media and mobile technologies; e) computer-supported collaborative work; and f) human-computer interaction (HCI) and design. For the inaugural Geri Gay Professorship, we especially welcome senior-rank candidates whose interests will intersect with colleagues at the Cornell Tech campus in New York City. The anticipated start date is July 1, 2019.

The communication and technology area constitutes one of the Department's core strengths. Applicants whose work could also contribute to other core strengths in science, health, and the environment; media communication; and/or persuasion and social influence are encouraged to apply. Both positions involve 50% research and 50% teaching responsibilities. Communication faculty teach two to three undergraduate and/or graduate courses per academic year in addition to advising students in the Department's B.S. and Ph.D. programs.

Publishing in peer-reviewed literature in relevant fields is expected, as is securing external research funding. Successful candidates for each position will be expected to seek competitive funding from foundations as well as state and federal funding agencies, enhancing our already active grant efforts from NIH, NSF, and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. Further, the two candidates who fill these positions will have considerable opportunities to enhance collaborations with the Cornell Tech Campus, Weill Cornell Medical College, the Institute for the Social Sciences, the Atkinson Center for a Sustainable Future, the Bronfenbrenner Center for Translational Research, and the Cornell University Center for the Study of Inequality, among other interdisciplinary research centers.

Cornell's Department of Communication is an international leader in the study of communication as a social science. Our faculty and students are dedicated to understanding the role and enhancing the effectiveness of communication processes, systems, and infrastructure in society. We explore communication in its many forms and contexts as a fundamentally social phenomenon. Our faculty members are recognized for developing and applying novel theoretical perspectives to the most pressing social and policy issues of the day. According to the most recent study by the National Research Council, the department is ranked among the top five in the nation. This ranking reflects the productivity and quality of the faculty and the diversity and success of our students. Our success has been enhanced by the department's relocation to state-of-the-art facilities that encourage interdisciplinary and collaborative work.

The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences is the second largest undergraduate college at Cornell University and the third largest college of its kind in the United States. Our teaching and research facilities are among the finest available, and the College's educational programs are designed to ensure that every student's education is geared to contemporary, real-world issues. Through teaching, research, and extension-the three components of our land-grant mission-we strive to help people improve their lives, enhance the environment, and improve the nation's food supply and maintain its safety.

We seek innovative and creative scholars who will develop a research program connected to college and university priorities in addressing how people communicate, interact, learn, lead, and shape enterprises of all scales to improve the well-being of individuals, communities, and economies around the world.

Required Qualifications:
For each position, the successful candidate will have a Ph.D. in a relevant field (the social or behavioral sciences, information or computer science, critical humanities tradition, etc.), and will have developed (or show promise of developing) an international reputation for theory-based empirical research. We will consider applicants with varying levels of experience (ABD to post-tenure) for the open-rank position. To be considered for the Geri Gay Professorship, candidates must be at the Associate level or higher.

Salary & Benefits:
Cornell offers a highly competitive salary and benefits package, which includes start-up research costs. Cornell University seeks to meet the needs of dual career couples. To assist with dual career searches, Cornell offers a Dual Career program and is a member of the Upstate New York Higher Education Recruitment Consortium. Visit http://www.unyherc.org<http://www.unyherc.org/> to see positions available in higher education in the upstate New York area.

Application:
Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter addressing position qualifications and goals. Applicants should indicate which job they are applying for in the cover letter. Senior applicants who would like to be considered for both jobs should indicate as much in their cover letters and submit only one application.

Applicants should also submit the curriculum vitae, a writing sample, and a teaching statement.

Junior (pre-tenure) candidates will be asked to provide names and contact information for three recommenders. Senior (tenured) candidates will be asked for recommendation letters later.

Please apply via Academic Jobs Online: https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/11361
Review of applications will begin on October 1, 2018, and the positions will remain open until filled.

For additional information, contact Dr. Bazarova at nnb8 at cornell.edu<mailto:nnb8 at cornell.edu> or 607.255.7821.
For more information about the Department of Communication, please visit our website: http://communication.cals.cornell.edu<http://communication.cals.cornell.edu/>.

Cornell University, located in Ithaca, New York, is an inclusive, dynamic, and innovative Ivy League University and New York's land-grant institution. Cornell strives to promote diversity across its student, staff, and faculty communities. Students, staff, and faculty impart an uncommon sense of larger purpose and contribute creative ideas and best practices to further the university's mission of teaching, research, and outreach.

Cornell University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer.

Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University's heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.

College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
Life. Changing.

Application Materials Required:
Submit the following items at https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/11361 to complete your application:

  *   Cover Letter addressing qualifications and goals
  *   Curriculum Vitae
  *   Writing Sample
  *   Teaching Statement
  *   Junior candidates only: Names and contact information of three recommenders.

Best Regards,
Shane Snyder
---
Administrative Assistant
Department of Communication
450 B Mann Library Building - Cornell University-Ithaca, NY 14853
607-255-2601
sk2842 at cornell.edu<mailto:sk2842 at cornell.edu>