[Air-L] Emotional AI: The Rise of Empathic Media (new book and free content)

Andrew McStay mcstay at bangor.ac.uk
Fri Jul 13 01:01:11 PDT 2018

Colleagues,

I’d like to introduce my new book Emotional AI: The Rise of Empathic Media, now out in paper and hardback with Sage.

Inspection copies here<https://uk.sagepub.com/en-gb/eur/emotional-ai/book251642#preview> and sample chapter here<https://uk.sagepub.com/sites/default/files/upm-binaries/93789_Sample_chapter_1_from_9781473971110_T.pdf>.

Nice things people said:

Empathic media and technologies will shape future societies. This is a great book to jump-start your knowledge so you can have an educated opinion on how that future will look.
Gawain Morrison
Sensum
________________________________
This thought-provoking, lucid, empirically rich book shows how technologies become sensitive to human emotions – and why we should care. Compulsory reading for students, researchers, technology developers and policy makers with feelings.
Bert-Jaap Koops
Tilburg University
________________________________
The entangling of digital media with human affect is one of the most transformative technological developments of our age. This book confirms Andrew McStay as one of the most insightful and empirically engaged scholars exploring this phenomenon.
Will Davies
Goldsmiths, University of London

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Chapter 1   Introducing Empathic Media

Chapter 2   Situating Empathy

Chapter 3   Group Sentimentality

Chapter 4   Spectrum of Emotions: Gaming the Body

Chapter 5   Leaky Emotions: The Case of Facial Coding

Chapter 6   Priming Voice-Based AI: I Hear You

Chapter 7   Affective Witnessing: VR 2.0

Chapter 8   Advertising, Retail and Creativity: Capturing theFlâneur

Chapter 9   Personal Technologies That Feel: Towards a Novel Form of Intimacy

Chapter 10   Empathic Cities

Chapter 11   Politics of Feeling Machines: Debating De-Identification and Dignity

Chapter 12   Conclusion: Dignity, Ethics, Norms, Policies and Practices

And, if you’ve got this far, you’re probably interested in the topic, so here’s the project website (EmotionalAI.org<https://emotionalai.org/>) that has lots of free content<https://emotionalai.org/publications/> and a recommended reading list<https://emotionalai.org/ongoing-academic-reading-list/>. If you’re working in this area and you’re not listed, email me a link and I’ll post details.

Andrew McStay
Professor of Digital Life
Director of Media and Persuasive Communication Network (MPC)
School of Music and Media
Bangor University

2018 book: Emotional AI: The Rise of Empathic Media<https://uk.sagepub.com/en-gb/eur/emotional-ai/book251642>
Project site and reports: EmotionalAI.org<http://emotionalai.org/>
Other books, bits and papers: here<https://bangor.academia.edu/AndrewMcStay>

T. +44 (0)1248 382740
Tw. @digi-ad<https://twitter.com/digi_ad>

Mae croeso i chi gysylltu gyda'r Brifysgol yn Gymraeg neu Saesneg

You are welcome to contact the University in Welsh or English

Rhif Elusen Gofrestredig 1141565 - Registered Charity No. 1141565

Gall y neges e-bost hon, ac unrhyw atodiadau a anfonwyd gyda hi, gynnwys deunydd cyfrinachol ac wedi eu bwriadu i'w defnyddio'n unig gan y sawl y cawsant eu cyfeirio ato (atynt). Os ydych wedi derbyn y neges e-bost hon trwy gamgymeriad, rhowch wybod i'r anfonwr ar unwaith a dilewch y neges. Os na fwriadwyd anfon y neges atoch chi, rhaid i chi beidio a defnyddio, cadw neu ddatgelu unrhyw wybodaeth a gynhwysir ynddi. Mae unrhyw farn neu safbwynt yn eiddo i'r sawl a'i hanfonodd yn unig ac nid yw o anghenraid yn cynrychioli barn Prifysgol Bangor. Nid yw Prifysgol Bangor yn gwarantu bod y neges e-bost hon neu unrhyw atodiadau yn rhydd rhag firysau neu 100% yn ddiogel. Oni bai fod hyn wedi ei ddatgan yn uniongyrchol yn nhestun yr e-bost, nid bwriad y neges e-bost hon yw ffurfio contract rhwymol - mae rhestr o lofnodwyr awdurdodedig ar gael o Swyddfa Cyllid Prifysgol Bangor.

This email and any attachments may contain confidential material and is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s). If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this email. If you are not the intended recipient(s), you must not use, retain or disclose any information contained in this email. Any views or opinions are solely those of the sender and do not necessarily represent those of Bangor University. Bangor University does not guarantee that this email or any attachments are free from viruses or 100% secure. Unless expressly stated in the body of the text of the email, this email is not intended to form a binding contract - a list of authorised signatories is available from the Bangor University Finance Office.