[Air-L] Submitting R/Python scraper to Facebook App Review

Justin Ho Justin.Ho at ed.ac.uk
Tue Jul 24 13:03:46 PDT 2018

Hi everyone,

I am a PhD student and I have to collect Facebook data from time to time
for my PhD project, I have been using R and it worked just fine. However,
after the recent changes in Facebook policy, personal accounts can no
longer generate short-lived token, to obtain an access token, we must first
create an App, and to enable the App to scrape Facebook data, we must
submit an App Review for "Page Public Content Access". I tried submitting
my R codes and a screencast of me using the codes, but it was rejected on
the basis that:

Your screencast doesn't show how the use of this permission directly
> improves the user experience in your app. Unfortunately, we also weren't
> able to determine this from testing your app manually.

All permissions data must be visibly used within your app. We do not accept
> permission requests for data that you may decide to use later.

>From above feedback, it seems the page public content access is only
available for built-in Facebook App (like NetVizz), instead of standalone
R/Python programs. I am wondering if anyone has successfully passed the
review? Could you share your experience of how to do it?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,
Justin