[Air-L] Critical/opinion papers/articles on user engagement

Samantha Close but.no.cigar at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 18:51:05 PDT 2018

If you are looking for alternative kinds of materials and will include
something on users in e-commerce platform settings, you might try my
documentary "Crafting in the Age of Computers" based on the experiences of
Etsy sellers and featured on Vice's Motherboard outlet. There is also a
short interview with me that accompanies the film:
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/ypwkqv/etsy-crafting-in-the-computer-age-the-unseen-workers-who-make-etsy-possible
<https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/ypwkqv/etsy-crafting-in-the-computer-age-the-unseen-workers-who-make-etsy-possible>

If you're looking for material that might relate user engagement to social
media and activism, I would recommend the work coming out of Henry Jenkins'
Civic Paths research group at USC, like the *By Any Media Necessary: The
New Youth Activism* book.