[Air-L] Including screennames with tweets

Hammelburg, Esther e.e.hammelburg at hva.nl
Fri Jul 13 01:20:18 PDT 2018

Dear Becky,

I would exclude them for the reasons that you mention and because it doesn't provide meaningful information to your text (I gather). I would add a note explaining your choice and mentioning that a register of screen names is held by the author. Another possibility is to ask the people involved, but that might be a lot of work..

Best,

Esther

Op 13-07-18 08:24 heeft Air-L namens Hayes, Rebecca M <air-l-bounces at listserv.aoir.org namens hayes2r at cmich.edu> geschreven:

    Dear All,

    Can you please weigh in on the decision to include or not include screennames

    when we cite tweets in a book? The book is on new media and crime,

    and we are using tweets in a few places as examples of some different discussions.

    We are back and forth on whether we should include the screennames and at others or disclude them. The arguments we have seen thus far, are to include them because it was made public and we are citing someones words. The other argument is to disclude them

    as the person did not consent to have it printed in that way persay, and the screenname attached in our book could be used to find and harass the person. What are your thoughts?

    Thank you,

    Becky