[Air-L] Including screennames with tweets

Бодрунова Светлана Сергеевна s.bodrunova at spbu.ru
Fri Jul 13 16:19:17 PDT 2018

Dear all, dear Rebecca,
thanks for raising this issue - the trend seems to be not to include
the screennames into publications. But I have a couple of thoughts on
this as a researcher who has dealt with influencers on Twitter in
cross-country perspective.

1. The dubious status of a tweet as 'oral-written' seems to lie at the
bottom of your hesitations. If you treat tweets as oral statements
produced in private, you will need authors' consent to publish AND a
reference to the source. If you treat them as published documents, you
will only need a reference to the source.
But at the same time, be it oral or written, you need to protect the
source from potential harm - this comes not only from judicial but
also from journalistic practice. Hence, evaluation (public interest
against potential harm) is needed in each individual case. The
scholarly community, just as the journalistic community 50 years
before that, might wish to elaborate a sort of a list of potentially
harmful cases or recommendations on how to evaluate this.

Some additional comments that also come from journalistic practice:

1. There is research where accounts of public persons and institutions
are under scrutiny. E.g. see the works on whether people address
police or civil servants on Twitter in times of crises or natural
disasters. Here, research loses its sense if the names are not stated.
Here, public interest might definitely be higher than potential harm.

In journalism, public people may be photographed when killed (see the
case of Uwe Barshel in Germany, an old but highly exemplary one),
chased for cheating on their spouses, asked harsh quetions, etc. They
need to be ready to get under public attention and scholarly analysis.
But, again, the scholarly community needs to find ways to define
public figures on Twitter and maybe treat them different than
'ordinary people'. Or, are all the accounts now 'public figures'? Or,
are all the accounts now private (and what to do then with the curated
accounts of politicians and brands)?

2. What is identifying a user? Is it providing the screenname, or ID,
or claiming we know the real name? For most of us, there is no chance
to prove that a particular account is really an account by a
particular offline person; we're only suggesting that. Formally, we
can only state that this or that account is called this way and tells
this or that publicly. But even this can lead to potential harm to a
given user, as naming an account / screenname in research (say, on
anorexia, hate speech, radical nationalism etc.) can lead to
cyberbullying and virtual attacks. Thus, not only the necessity should
be weighted; but also the community needs to develop least harmful
ways of identifying the sources of tweets.

Sorry if my considerations are banal :)

Yours,
Svetlana