[Air-L] NLP for sentiment analysis of social media comment

Astvansh, Vivek astvansh at iu.edu
Sat Jul 14 08:15:21 PDT 2018

Hi, Nina:

Yes; some scholars (particularly in the past, when field-specific dictionaries, such as one in finance, were not available) used their own supervised machine-learning method. This method comprised: (a) using human beings (e.g., MTurkers) to classify text into positive, negative, and neutral sentiment, (b) using this human classification to train a classifier (Lasso or support vector machine), and lastly, (c) using the trained model to classify the holdout sample. As you can guess, this is quite some work and perhaps not required when the relevant dictionary is readily available and you have a program that uses this dictionary to classify text.

You can search Google Scholar to find articles that use human annotations and machine-learning classifiers and follow this supervised machine-learning approach.

Best wishes!
Vivek Astvansh
Assistant Professor of Marketing
Kelley School of Business, Indiana University Bloomington