[Air-L] Tenure track position; UMich Communication Studies

Amanda Lotz lotz at umich.edu
Wed Jun 13 07:19:23 PDT 2018

The Department of Communication Studies in the College of Literature,
Science, and the Arts at the University of Michigan invites applications
for a tenure-track position at the Assistant Professor or Associate
Professor rank focusing on the social implications of digital media.
Successful candidates will be appointed to the John Derby Evans Development
Chair in Communication Studies.

The Department of Communication Studies emphasizes the interdisciplinary
study of mass media and digital media. We welcome applications from
scholars in the social or behavioral sciences, computer science, or
critical humanities traditions working on a range of topics and employing
diverse methods. We are interested in qualified applicants whose research
addresses important social problems, opportunities, and questions
associated with digital media. Topical areas include computer-mediated
communication, social media, mobile media, media industries, politics and
public policy, socio-technical systems, distribution and access, and other
important and innovative areas of research.  We are particularly interested
in scholars focused on (a) critical-cultural and/or political economy
approaches to studying digital media technologies and industries, or (b)
media effects approaches to studying new media technology. We are also
highly interested in candidates whose research on digital media concerns
race and ethnicity in varied social and cultural contexts.

Job duties include research activity, teaching of graduate and
undergraduate courses, and service to the department, school, university,
and profession. The anticipated starting date for this university-year
appointment is September 1, 2019. All applicants should send a cover
letter, a vita, two representative publications, a statement of teaching
philosophy and experience, evidence of teaching excellence, a statement of
current and future research plans, and a statement of contributions to
diversity. Candidates for this position will have at least three years’
experience at the tenure-track assistant professor rank or equivalent
experience. All applicants should provide names of three references.

Information on our research initiatives and scholarly interest of currently
faculty can be found on the Department’s website:
http://www.lsa.umich.edu/comm. All applications must be submitted
electronically to:https://webapps.lsa.umich.edu/Apply/1128

For full consideration, complete applications should be submitted by August
27, 2018.

The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates
and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks.
Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit
Reporting Act.

The University of Michigan is committed to fostering and maintaining a
diverse work culture that respects the rights of each individual, without
regard to race, color, national original, ancestry, religious creed, sex,
gender identity, sexual orientation, gender expression, height, weight,
marital status, disability, medical condition, age, or veteran status. The
University of Michigan is supportive of the needs of dual career couples
and is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.

For questions about potential fit and your application please email:
evans.professorship at umich.edu