[Air-L] Platforms or services that advance fundamental human rights

Ansgar Koene Ansgar.Koene at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Jun 19 03:58:55 PDT 2018

Hi all,

   I've been asked to contribute some suggestions to a book on digital/social media that are being used to advance fundamental human rights, including privacy.

The question is:

"Can  you please name for me what you consider to be the top 5-10 apps,  platforms, or services . . . created by NGOs or the private sector . . .  that have done the most to actually  protect privacy.  We know Telegram is at the top of the list.  But what  else would you put there (and why?)".

Does anyone have a top-5 they would want to share? (ideally with some kind of article reference that highlights why this is a valuable platform/service for advancing human rights.

Best wishes,

Ansgar

Dr. Ansgar Koene
Senior Research Fellow: UnBias, CaSMa & Horizon Policy Impact
Horizon Digital Economy Research Institute
University of Nottingham
Working group chair for IEEE Standard on Algorithm Bias Considerations
http://unbias.wp.horizon.ac.uk/
http://casma.wp.horizon.ac.uk/
http://www.horizon.ac.uk/
https://standards.ieee.org/develop/project/7003.html