[Air-L] Announcement: African American Digital Humanities Conference CFP

Catherine Knight Steele catherineaknight at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 08:12:40 PDT 2018

 The African American Digital Humanities (AADHum) initiative at the
University of Maryland is excited to announce that we are now accepting
proposals for our first national conference: *Intentionally Digital,
Intentionally Black. *

* What happens to digital humanities inquiry when we begin with Black
culture, Black thought, and Black persons at the center of our endeavors?
How does this shift challenge and expand both the humanities and the
digital? What happens to Black and African American humanities research
when we lead with the digital? Interdisciplinary inquiry into both the
online practices of black users and humanities research focused on black
history and culture using digital tools has expanded in the past decade. *

*Too often, this work happens on the margins of established disciplines,
boundaries, and paradigms. Rather than arriving at black digital research
as an afterthought or a tactic to achieve “diversity”, privileging black
theory and black culture in our scholarship can provide alternate paradigms
through which to understand the digital and the humanistic. *

*The first national conference of the African American Digital Humanities
(AADHum) Initiative at the University of Maryland will explore how digital
studies and digital humanities-based research, teaching, and community
projects can center African American history and culture. AADHum invites
submissions that may include scholarly inquiry into Black diasporic and
African American uses of digital technologies; digital humanities projects
that focus on black history and culture; race and digital theory; the
intersection of black studies and digital humanities; information studies,
cultural heritage, and community-based digital projects; pedagogical
interventions; digital tools and artifacts; black digital humanities and
memory; social media and black activism/movements, etc. *

The conference will take place *October 18-20, 2018 *at the University of
Maryland, College Park and feature keynote speakers *Andre Brock *(Univ. of
Michigan) and *Jessica Marie Johnson* (Johns Hopkins Univ.).

Interested participants are invited to submit proposals for individual
papers, panels, digital posters, tools/digital project demonstrations, and
roundtables by *April 9, 2018*. Proposals should be submitted online at:
https://www.conftool.pro/aadhum2018/.

For more information, please see the Call for Proposals on or check out our
website: http://aadhum.umd.edu/conference/. Questions can be directed to:
aadhum at umd.edu.

We look forward to reviewing your proposals and seeing you in College Park
this Fall!