[Air-L] Selfie book out

Katrin Tiidenberg katrin.tiidenberg at gmail.com
Thu May 3 02:26:19 PDT 2018

Hi all,

my book "Selfies: Why We Love (and Hate) Them" is out. It’s intended for “an intelligent lay reader,” but some of the early readers have said it would work well in teaching undergrads about social media practices.

There’s a 30% discount if you use the code SELFIE in Emerald’s webshop http://books.emeraldinsight.com/page/detail/Selfies/?k=9781787437173 <http://books.emeraldinsight.com/page/detail/Selfies/?k=9781787437173>

if you do read, I’d love to hear your feedback,

thanks,

Kat Tiidenberg

Katrin Tiidenberg, PhD
Aarhus University // Tallinn University
kkatot.tumblr.com <http://kkatot.tumblr.com/>

Selfies
Why We Love (and Hate) Them

By Katrin Tiidenberg
April 2018, PB, £16.99

A SocietyNow title

Selfie sticks, filters, Kardashians, online activism, the ‘duckface’, art, authenticity and teenage angst.  ‘Selfie culture’ is not a flash in the pan, it’s a social phenomenon that shows no signs of surrender and one that evokes passionate reactions from many.  Every day, Facebook users upload 350 million photos, Instagrammers share 95 million photos, and there are 3 billion Snapchat snaps. Not all of those are selfies, but selfies have come to be seen as the bane and boon of visual sharing online and they generate more attention than most other content on social media.

Selfies are a conundrum of sorts.  As humans, we have a long history of being drawn to images, of communicating visually, and being enchanted with (our own) faces, but the modern ‘selfie’s is often framed as unworthy of all of the attention. Many believe they lack artistic merit; indicate an unhealthy narcissism; lead to mental health problems or even to dangerous behaviour. Selfies can be incredibly imaginative or relentlessly repetitive. What selfies end up meaning depends on the social, cultural and technological context surrounding them.

Selfies presents a rich and nuanced analysis of selfie culture. It shows how selfies gain their meanings, illustrates different selfie practices, explores how selfies make us feel and why they have the power to make us feel anything, and unpacks how selfie practices and selfie related norms have changed or might change in the future.
This highly-accessible book written for the smart lay reader is grounded in years of academic research on selfies undertaken by author Katrin Tiidenberg. Selfies concludes by demonstrating how selfies, like most other cultural practices, are complex and multifaceted, and offers practical advice, ‘Keep Calm and Selfie On’ for those who do take and share selfies.

Katrin Tiidenberg is an Associate Professor of Social Media and Visual Culture at the Baltic Film, Media, Arts and Communication School of Tallinn University, Estonia and a Post-Doctoral Researcher at the School of Communication and Culture in Aarhus University, Denmark. Her research focuses on visual culture and social media, she has published extensively on selfies and is interested on the methods and ethics of studying visual self-presentation and sexuality.

For a review copy of Selfies or to speak to Katrin, please contact:
Katherine Lowe, The Oxford Publicity Partnership Ltd,
Tel: 07887 948795 or email: katherine.lowe at oppuk.co.uk <mailto:katherine.lowe at oppuk.co.uk>

Selfies – Katrin Tiidenberg – paperback - £16.99 – 9781787437173