[Air-L] Community Academic Research Partnerships in Digital Context

Eric Gordon eric_gordon at emerson.edu
Tue May 8 07:52:23 PDT 2018

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

I’m excited to share a new report published by the Engagement Lab
called Community
Academic Research Partnership in Digital Contexts: Opportunities,
Limitations, and New Ways to Promote Mutual Benefit
<https://elabhome.blob.core.windows.net/resources/mou.pdf>.

Emerging directly from our work with Boston Civic Media
<https://bostoncivic.media>, this report provides an overview of the
concerns, values, and roles of digital data and communications in
community-academic research partnerships from the perspectives of Community
Partner Organizations (CPOs).

It also contains an MOU template with a suggested series of prompts for the
researcher and community group to arrive at a set of mutual interests,
shared decision-making practices, and an agreed-upon understanding of data
ownership practices.

All in all, our hope is that this report and the MOU template serves as a
useful resource for practitioners seeking productive ways to manage
research partnerships in the digital age, and as a launching pad for future
research focusing on the perspectives of CPOs.

You can read and download the full report here:
<https://elab.emerson.edu/projects/civic-media-practice>
https://elab.emerson.edu/projects/mou.

Best,
Eric