[Air-L] Software or tool for video analysis, forum-scraping

Toupin, Rémi toupin.remi at uqam.ca
Sun May 13 08:54:08 PDT 2018

Dear all,

I am a PhD candidate in Science, technology, society at UQAM (Université du Québec à Montréal) as well as the coordinator of a research infrastructure we are putting in place to study the use of digital technologies and medias through thick data approaches. As such, we plan to have a lot of video data - wether on field or at the lab - and we are looking for a software or a tool that would help us analyze this data. Basically, we are looking for something where we could annotate the video (something like NVivo but better suited for video) while integrating other layers of data (ex. the verbatim of the interview), possibly by synchronizing these layers together (if that is possible). We were wondering if such a tool might exist, and if yes, what might be some of your suggestions?

We are also planning to have data extracted from social media, web sites or forums. About the forums, we were wondering if there was any tool (like a web-scraper maybe?) that could help us extract publications/conversations automatically through some filters?

Thank you very much for your help! We are looking forward to make this new research space running.

Rémi Toupin
toupin.remi at uqam.ca
Co-coordinator LabCMO
PhD Candidate - Science, technology and society
Université du Québec à Montréal